I want to brew a 10% beer how can i do that

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenaxe

Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to make a beer slightly stronger than 5% well more like double. I would like it to be 10% how could i go about doing that?

yes increase the OG of your brew.

if your looking for a magical ingredient or technique that will raise your ABV without raising your OG then there is no such thing.

is there not something i can increase the amount of to get more achole

Yes, you need more sugars in your beer. These should preferably be sugars from malt (or malt extract) though you could hooch it up by adding lots and lots of other sugars like ordinary grocery store beet sugar.

The yeast need more to eat to get higher levels of alcohol. And you may have a problem there, too. Yeast can tolerate only so much presence of alcohol before they give out (quit or die).

eac

Based on your answer, I would suggest you read some books on brewing (Palmer's or Papazian's) to learn about the links between alcohol strength, OG and fermentation/fermentables (sugar, malt).

Please don't let this thread get out of hand.

To the OP it'd help if you tell us what you want the final beer to be like.
If you just want something to get drunk on then you realy do not want to continue.

If you have had beer at that strength before that you like and would like to emulate then we can help.

Tell us a bit more about what you want to do.

The basic answer is add more fermentables and probably hops to keep it balanced, keeping in mind the properties of the yeast you use and the requirement for a multi stage fermentation.

In theory yes, load it with table sugar. In practice, no.

Brewing higher alcohol beer takes a certain finesse to pull it off. If you just do something as simple as load it with sugar it's a guarantee to be undrinkable.

In addition to the high OG, you will need a yeast that can tolerate the higher alcohol content, a massive yeast starter, and aerate the hell out out of it (preferably with pure O2) before pitching your yeast.

10% really wouldn't be that hard to accomplish, just need more sugars. If you add more sugars by adding more malt/extract, you might want to bump up the IBU's too. I'm going to ignore the "achole" thing though, as I don't want to be "that guy" :cross:

I think that many new brewers, myself included, get wildly enthusiastic and potentially unrealistic ideas about what to brew for their second batch. Oddly enough, many experienced brewers can be found on this site whose approach is “keep it simple.”

While my first batch was in the fermenter, I was busy making plans to clone a Chimay Blue or Red (I couldn’t decide which). I’m glad I came back down to earth. Based on the “brew what you like to drink” approach, I settled on a fairly straightforward brown ale, and I’m quite happy with that decision. I have a lot to learn about the process before I try something extravagant.

Surprised I'm the first to mention honey. Like they said the idea is just to give the yeast more food, but among my friends honey seems to be the most popular way to up the ABV because it is 95% fermentable, meaning it won't significantly alter the flavor. Just know that it will contribute to a dryness, and should not be used in excess of 30% of the bill.

if your looking for a magical ingredient or technique that will raise your ABV without raising your OG then there is no such thing.

Unless you want to just add a bunch of vodka. Three fifths of 100 proof should do it. But it won't taste very good I'm guessing.

I'm not trying to be rude. But judging by your posts the last couple of days I can see you don't have a lot of experience. Taking a time out and reading "How to Brew" will really do wonders. I know you are excited an want to brew and get quick to the point answers. But you really won't get to far if you don't understand WHY you are doing things. Good luck!

Back