A This vs. That grain question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
I've done a little research, and I mean a little, but I haven't come up with an answer to this question.

What is the difference between Caramel Munich and Caramunich?

or

Caramel Vienna and Caravienne?

I aske because on Brewmaster's Warehouse website thet offer Caramel Munich, and Weyermann Caramunich.

I run into recipes that call for CaraVienne or Caramunich, but Brewmaster's lists not Caravienne, only Caramel Vienna.

They list Caramel Pils, so I assume that is CaraPils, or am I wrong, just trying to get a grasp on some of the ingredients that are confusing me.

My LHBS sells malts they list as Belgian such as: CaraVienne, CaraMunich, Caramel Pils, Special B, etc...

I'm just trying to get my head around some confusion, please help.:eek:

I've done a little research, and I mean a little, but I haven't come up with an answer to this question.

What is the difference between Caramel Munich and Caramunich?

or

Caramel Vienna and Caravienne?

I aske because on Brewmaster's Warehouse website thet offer Caramel Munich, and Weyermann Caramunich.

I run into recipes that call for CaraVienne or Caramunich, but Brewmaster's lists not Caravienne, only Caramel Vienna.

They list Caramel Pils, so I assume that is CaraPils, or am I wrong, just trying to get a grasp on some of the ingredients that are confusing me.

My LHBS sells malts they list as Belgian such as: CaraVienne, CaraMunich, Caramel Pils, Special B, etc...

I'm just trying to get my head around some confusion, please help.:eek:

Those are mostly the same, except they come from different malsters and usually from different countries who call it something slightly different. Now because they are from a different malster AND a different country they will be different to a degree at least.
Probably the best example of this I know is Bohemian Pils, German pils and Belgian Pils are all quite a bit different despite the fact they're all Pilsner Malt.

So if a brew shop doesn't have Caramunich, but does have Caramel Munich, or Caravienne opposed to Caramel Vienna, I should assume that these are the same "type" of malted grain?

Just a different name?

So if a brew shop doesn't have Caramunich, but does have Caramel Munich, or Caravienne opposed to Caramel Vienna, I should assume that these are the same "type" of malted grain?

Yes, CaraMunich and CaraVienne are registered trademarks of Weyermann.

So if they don't carry Weyermann they may have similar but differently named products. It's not the exact same thing, but it will be a fine substitute, as it will be very close.

Yes, CaraMunich and CaraVienne are registered trademarks of Weyermann.

So if they don't carry Weyermann they may have similar but differently named products. It's not the exact same thing, but it will be a fine substitute, as it will be very close.

Thank you!:rockin::mug:

Great thread. I was wondering the same. Is there a chart out there like the BYO Hops chart that lists the malts and specialty grains and describes their characteristics?

Beersmith and Beer Tools have ingredients lists and give a basic overview of the characteristics of the grain, but like noeldundas reported, some of the names are trademarks, like CaraPils that is Briess' trademark dextrine malt, so I don't know if there is a database that lists all grains, malts and adjuncts and their proprietary names.

If that is what you are asking.

I use Beersmith, and their list is pretty comprehensive, tells you a bit about the grain/adjunct/sugars etc, and the recommended percentage use in a recipe.

Back