Minute Rice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
Has anybody ever used Minute Rice (or other instant rice) in their brew? I have heard of using it in place of flaked rice, but can't find any details.

Works fine. I've used it as an adjunct in a few lagers and had fine results. Just cook to package instructions- sans any butter or salt- and add to mash. At least this is what I do. The minute rice may be fine just adding to your mash, but I've never done it this way.

Works fine. I've used it as an adjunct in a few lagers and had fine results. Just cook to package instructions- sans any butter or salt- and add to mash. At least this is what I do. The minute rice may be fine just adding to your mash, but I've never done it this way.

I have always added minute rice directly to the mash. It gelatinizes quickly. I would recommend some rice hulls in the mash.

How does it compare with using flaked rice? Flaked rice just instantly dissolves when it hits the hot mash water.

I'm working on an 8 gallon batch of light ale. Say 5lbs of 2-row, 5lbs of pils, 2lbs of flaked rice and a pound of minute rice (actually, 14oz. I just checked and the generic comes in 14oz boxes). I have some rice hulls to help with the sparge.

Back