QBrew Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Reaction score
I use QBrew to store all of my recipes, but have a question on the OG, FG and Alcohol content.

The platform allows for an extract gravity and has a "default" for each grain. So when adding a recipe I havent done before, how do I calculate each grain gravity? If I allow the default to calculate it, the gravity and alcohol content is way low.

Anyone?

Or is there a better program to use?

Are you asking "How do you calculate EACH type of grains gravity?"

That would be IMPOSSIBLE to do without water.

After all your grains are steeped in the water THEN you would be able to do it, but not before. Then again, that would only be valid with the amount of water you had. The gravity would change if you added more/less water.

If you had the time to do that then you would be able to record the results each time, but why bother? I know, you're just curious. :D

Tony said:
I use QBrew to store all of my recipes, but have a question on the OG, FG and Alcohol content.

The platform allows for an extract gravity and has a "default" for each grain. So when adding a recipe I havent done before, how do I calculate each grain gravity? If I allow the default to calculate it, the gravity and alcohol content is way low.

Anyone?

Or is there a better program to use?

I use Promash (recently purchased the full version), and I kind of see the same problem with what you are talking about. I don't worry about it though if it gets me in the right ballpark.
IMHO, Promash is THE program to use. I've downloaded trials of all the others and even though it has some drawbacks, Promash is the most complete program, and updated moreso than the others. I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH PROMASH, JUST A SATISFIED CUSTOMER SO FAR.
Just my .02.....

homebrewer_99 said:
Are you asking "How do you calculate EACH type of grains gravity?"

That would be IMPOSSIBLE to do without water.

After all your grains are steeped in the water THEN you would be able to do it, but not before. Then again, that would only be valid with the amount of water you had. The gravity would change if you added more/less water.

If you had the time to do that then you would be able to record the results each time, but why bother? I know, you're just curious. :D

Im just curious because when I enter a recipe, and enter everything, the gravity valued and alcohol values do not jive with the recipes. So I was wondering how I would be able to record it correctly in the program. QBrew gives a base reading of the extract value from each grain, and I guess without mashing each grain individually, I guess there is no way to enter that value. So I think just fudging the extract value until it matches the recipe values is about all I can do.

Thanks

Back