Moylan's Kiltlifter Scottish Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tborgman

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
White Labs 001- California Ale
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 week
Tasting Notes
good malty body with a slight honey aftertaste
Moylans Kiltlifter Scottish Ale Clone

This recipe is based on the grain bill emailed to me from Moylans brewery in Novato, California. I think it was a good first attempt at recreating their awesome scottish ale, but it likely lacks some malty/caramel characteristics present in Moylans version

Grain Bill:

American two row- 10 lbs
Crystal malt 70L- 10oz
Crystal malt 120L- 10oz
Vienna Durst- 8oz
Munich- 8oz
Special B- 5oz
carapils- 8oz

Mash Schedule: 153 degrees for 1 hr
Mash out at 170 for 5 min

Fly sparge with 168 degree water
collected 6.5 gallons pre-boil

Boil Schedule:

Total Time: 70 min
1st addition at 10 min: 1.5oz Kent Goldings (4-6%)
2nd addition at 55 min: 0.5oz Kent Goldings (4-6%)

Yeast: White Labs 001- California Ale yeast

This looks like a good recipe to me. It is very close to the recipe for the Wee Heavy I sent to the NHC this year. I will have to dig it up and compare.

I just made this, upped the grain bill by 25%... Hit a 1.079 OG, to stay authentic to the alcohol percentage. I did some research about this clone and it appears to be authentic to the actual Moylans Kiltlifter!!!!

I made some of my own additions to this, I went with Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast and added 4oz'z of brittish chocolate malt.

This came out as a winner... It's one of my best beers ever, i'm really reluctant to share it! lol

Do you think Marris Otter would add that Caramel Malty flavor that was missing?

It's been over an year, but I think I added Marris Otter to mine... Not sure, I did slightly deviate on this recipe. I will have to check my notes and see what I did... But I do know this is a winner!

Just looked, i didn't add it... If you suggested adding it, how much would you add HenryVance3?

To be honest I am just now playing with MO. I have been doing a complete swap of reg2row for MO 2row and my latest batch of amber is my best yet. Which is not say alot as I am newer to all grain and just now starting to deviate from recipes. I will try it out both ways if possible this summer for fun and see.

Just had some Kilt Lifter last night and I loved it: a Wee Heavy without the boozy taste! I am going to take Hurricane's comments into consideration and tweak tborgman's recipe a bit. I'd like to see the difference that WLP001 California will yield as opposed to WLP028 Edinburgh. We'll see!

Brewed this today as a 3 gal batch. This was my first brew in my new place, and sadly, much went wrong :(

Had absolutely terrible efficiency (due do bad mash temp control), had a boil-over, and because of the bad efficiency I had an OG of 1.051. Oh well, such is life.

I'll try and post again on bottling day with FG and a taste test. Also, I fermented with Wyeast Scottish Ale (which is quickly becoming my favorite)

Back