recipe change

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormraper

Reaction score
ok guys, I have a buddy who was going to brew a saison using some 3724 Saison yeast. however due to the fact that this yeast needs heat and the summer heat is winding down drastically in this part of the world. I was wondering if there was any other yeast we could use and change the "style" so to speak so as to not waste our ingredients that have already been bought

1 lb Caramel 40L (Steep)

6 lbs Breiss Golden Light DME
2 lbs Table Sugar (sucrose) (guessing we can not use the sugar since very little need to dry it out)

1 oz Centennial 9.2 - 60 min
1 oz Czech Saaz 3.9 - 10 min
1 oz Sweet Orange Peel - 5 min

with what you have i would try to make some kind of Belgian ale. get a Belgian yeast, swap the sucrose for candi sugar or not. possibly steep around 4 oz ea of special b and roasted barley. if it were me thats what i would do but you could make one with what you have and just get yeast. if you have a warm spot in you house (70) id think you would be fine doing the saison. the fermentation with cause it to warm up as it converts plus you could wrap it up in a blanket to help keep warmer

with what you have i would try to make some kind of Belgian ale. get a Belgian yeast, swap the sucrose for candi sugar or not. possibly steep around 4 oz ea of special b and roasted barley. if it were me thats what i would do but you could make one with what you have and just get yeast. if you have a warm spot in you house (70) id think you would be fine doing the saison. the fermentation with cause it to warm up as it converts plus you could wrap it up in a blanket to help keep warmer

ooooooo, that sounds perfect, Safale T-58 should work well for a salvage of parts :D. I'll add in teh special B and barley too. should be easy to do.

I would do the Saison if I was using the 3711 Saison yeast but that 3724 very well could stall for weeks in these lower temps. (and being that it's his first brew I wanted to give him something that wouldn't stall and cause him to do something rash in impatience)

Latest posts

Back