Blimey's Brown Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP005
Yeast Starter
slurry
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14@ 66
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
35@ 66
Tasting Notes
see below
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: Brown Porter
Brewer: HopHed
Asst Brewer:
Style: Brown Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.39 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 27.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 47.04 %
3.00 lb Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 28.22 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 9.41 %
1.00 lb Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 9.41 %
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4.70 %
0.13 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.22 %
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 32.7 IBU
1 Pkgs British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.63 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 3.32 gal of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Nose presents a very rich roasted character with hints of chocolate and a faint bit of caramel. This produced a medium bodied beer that I carbonated to about 2.2 volumes.

This is the first time I've used brown malt and I must say that it lends quite a distinctive taste to a beer. It's also a taste that I'm having difficulty describing properly other than to say that it's 'earthy' and undeniably British, but I can say that the roasted notes from the nose continue in the palate, although much more restrained.

I've never had a commercial version of a Brown Porter so I don't know how this would compare but I really enjoy this beer. It's pleasant to drink and at just over 5% it's light enough that you can enjoy quite a few of them. I paired it with a nice spicy steak and baked potato a few nights ago and the
earthy/roasted character of this beer complimented the spicy seasonings that I had on the t-bone steak in front of me very, very well.

View attachment brown porter.bsm

Old recipe here, but I'm curious of how it held up. Have you brewed it again? Any changes, recommendations?

Found your recipe while looking for info on brown malt. A lot of the recipes using it suggest small amounts (1/2 to 1 lb). Yesterday I took your lead and even bumped it up some, 50% 2-row and 40% brown malt. This morning the house still has a wonderful roasted aroma and I love the color. Hope it tastes as good as its early presentation.

Brown Porter . . .

BrownMalt.jpg

I haven't gotten around to brewing this again, but I should. I was quite happy with this beer.

Back