Priming a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damrass

Reaction score
I decided instead of force-carbing the keg this time, I'm going to naturally prime it and let it condition some more. How much priming sugar do I use? I've read anywhere from 1/4 to 2/3 cup of corn sugar, but that doesn't take into consideration a) corn sugar can become compacted (so I need the weight instead) and b) different styles require different levels of carbonation.

So for, say, a British Bitter... what would be a good weight to use for priming a 5 gallon batch?

Very excited to rack this batch today and get started on another! :mug:

Anybody? I ended up boiling a cup of water with 5 ounces of corn sugar. Hope that's about right.

(Beer tasted great, BTW. A bit of a green beer bite, but I expect she'll mellow in a few weeks. ;))

According to Terry Foster (Pale Ale from the Classic Brewing Series) for 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0 volumes of CO2, you need 2.5, 4.4, 6.3, 7.5, and 9.4 oz corn sugar respectively for 5 US gallons assuming the beer has 0.4 - 0.5 volumes of CO2 before priming.

Bitters usually have 1.0 - 1.5 volumes CO2 (also from Terry Foster).

Personally, I usually keg about 4 - 6 weeks before sampling. I keg after about 3 weeks in primary, and verify that the gravity has not changed for 3 days before kegging (if there's any doubt). I don't add priming sugar, but add 5 PSI to the keg, and leave it with a weekly burp on the pressure release valve. After 4 - 6 weeks, it's damned good.

-a,

Thanks guys.

But I have another problem. The A/C went out just a few hours after it was kegged, and it's now hovering around 90 degrees F and has been for the past 2 days (today's the 3rd). Is this going to have a significant impact on the beer?

Latest posts

Back