Sierra Nevada - BIGFOOT Barleywine Style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BootYtRappeR

Reaction score
I bought a sixer of this beer over the weekend because I've heard good reviews about it.

I really liked the flavor and body (tons) but it was a little too sweet for my tastes.

My buddy tried it and he didn't think it was sweet at all, but rather bitter.

I couldn't find the bitterness in it that he was talking about.

Have any of you tried this beer?

What would be your guess as to what's in it as far as ingredients are concerned?

I'd like to take some of the characteristics from it and apply to a new recipe. Mainly the flavor, body and only half the sweetness.

BT

bootytrapper said:
I really liked the flavor and body (tons) but it was a little too sweet for my tastes.

My buddy tried it and he didn't think it was sweet at all, but rather bitter.

I couldn't find the bitterness in it that he was talking about.

I'm with you. Barleywines, imperial stouts, and the like all taste intensely sweet to me, even in spite of the high hoppiness. They're nice in very smalll quantities every now and then, but that's it for me.

I'm that way with very rich desserts. If my wife orders one, I am completely satisfied with one or two bites. (Of the dessert, that is).

Wow. I thought this thread had to be a joke until cweston seconded the comment. I was not a big fan of the Bigfoot and thought it was wicked bitter. Reminded me of drinking overconcentrated hop tea. Eww.

yeah im not a fan of barley wines, they are too sweet, and alcoholic tasting for me...ill take a belgian strong ale over a barley wine anyday, they are way more balanced (imho)

Very Un-Dude said:
We have a few threads on this...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=993&highlight=bigfoot

I like this years better than last years, but I've yet to compare the 2 side by side. I'm going on memory of last years.

I think it is great stuff.

I wasn't looking for a comparison to last years batch with this years batch.

I was just curious what makes a this BIG beer so sweet because I'd like to brew something like it without the sweetness but with all or most of the body and flavor.:mug:

BT

Ivan Lendl said:
yeah im not a fan of barley wines, they are too sweet, and alcoholic tasting for me...ill take a belgian strong ale over a barley wine anyday, they are way more balanced (imho)
In my experience, barleywines can run the gamut of hoppy to sweet, which is to say American to English generally speaking. There's a pretty big spectrum out there to hit which would make it difficult for me to say that barleywines are, in general, sweet (some are).

bootytrapper said:
I wasn't looking for a comparison to last years batch with this years batch.

I was just curious what makes a this BIG beer so sweet because I'd like to brew something like it without the sweetness but with all or most of the body and flavor.:mug:

BT

My take on this....

With a beer that big, there is no way to avoid the sweetness. The only thing you can do is balance it with bittering hops. This does not actually eliminate the sweetness, but gives the beer an over-all balanced flavor.

If you drink Bigfoot and look for sweetness in the taste, you will find it.
If you drink Bigfoot and look for bitterness in the taste, you will find it.

In fact, you will find a lot of both. The key is just to balance the two.

If you really dislike a sweet taste in your beer, then barleywines might not be your cup of tea (or beer, as it were.)

:)

-walker

If I remember correctly, I think barleywines are made with so much DME/sugar/honey the yeast just quits once it gets to a certain ABV, therefore the unfermented DME/sugar/honey is what adds all the extra sweetness.

If this is the case I suppose I could leave out some of the fermentables.

bootytrapper said:
If I remember correctly, I think barleywines are made with so much DME/sugar/honey the yeast just quits once it gets to a certain ABV, therefore the unfermented DME/sugar/honey is what adds all the extra sweetness.

If this is the case I suppose I could leave out some of the fermentables.

I don't know about that. I have heard that there are some strains that can handle over 20% alcohol.

Go to the Sierra Nevada Website. They list what ingredients they use just not the quantities. So you can use those ingredients and make a recipe to match the specs that are listed on the site.

Love me some Bigfoot. Have a sixer of it hanging out in the basement just waiting for winter. That and 5 gallons of home brewed 14% barleywine aging on oak!

BT

A high FG, barleywines can go in to the 1.030's, lots of residual sugars.

Back