Deep Ellum IPA clone recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have a DEBC IPA clone recipe they would like to share?

I have never tried to make a clone recipe before but I used BeerSmith and some research from the web to match their ingredients/IBU/SRM. I haven't actually tried to make it yet, wondering if somebody already had one. If not, how does this look for a first attempt?

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
1 lbs Honey Malt

1.0 oz Chinook - Boil 60 min
0.8 oz Amarillo Gold - Boil 30 min
1.0 oz Palisade - Boil 15 min
0.5 oz Citra - Steep 15 min
1 pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast 8

1.0 oz Citra - Dry Hop 4 days
0.8 oz Palisade - Dry Hop 4 days
0.5 oz Summit - Dry Hop 4 days

From what I hear honey malt is a strong flavor so 1 lb might be a bit much... that may make it cloyingly sweet.

Another thing is that unless you are doing something smaller than a 5 gallon batch or you hit some big 85%+ efficiency numbers this looks like a pretty weak IPA. I would start with 10-12 lbs of base malt and work from there, maybe 1.5lb Vienna, 0.25-0.5 lb of Honey and about the same of white wheat. From what I have read in the past 5 minutes, it is a 7% abv beer so aim for that.

I also bet they use some Summit for bittering since it is such a high AA hop. Maybe a little Chinook but I bet the bulk of the bittering charge is Summit. The 0.8 oz at 30 minutes of Amarillo probably isnt going to do too much for your flavor or bittering so push that to 20 minutes or less. Also... MORE HOPS. Just over 3 ounces in the boil is going to give you a pretty weak flavor. What you have there looks more like a Pale Ale than an IPA. It is probably safe to say you should use at least 5 ounces in the boil with 80-90% of that falling in the last 20 minutes for maximum flavor and aroma. You will just want to add some summit around 60-45 minutes to get up to about 40-50 IBU. Then Dry hop with a full ounce of each.

I have never had this beer you are trying to clone but I can tell you if you brew the recipe you have you are going to get some wishy-washy, overly malty sweet, lightly hopped pale ale and be severely disappointed in your efforts.

You're going to need about 4.5oz Honey Malt and White Wheat, 28oz of Vienna and the remainder is pale ale malt.
For the hops:
Summit FWH
Citra :20
Amarillo (or Centennial) & Chinook 0 min
Palisade & Chinook Post Boil (we use these in the hopback, which may be hard to replicate, maybe move the 0 min hops to 5 min and these to -5 min?)
Apollo, Citra, Amarillo/Centennial/Simcoe (stupid supply issues) dry hop

That should get you pretty close. Oh and you want your total hop load at about 6.5oz for a 5gal batch, but feel free to go a bit higher, we get much better utilization on our system (calandria boil) than y'all should expect.

Cheers and beers,
Drew Huerter
Head Brewer - Deep Ellum Brewing Company

How does this look? Ratebeer estimates 70 IBUs. I adjusted hop amounts until I hit that.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Not Deep Ellum IPA
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.52 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 5.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 70.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.2 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 14.2 %
4.5 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.3 %
4.5 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4 2.3 %
1.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - First Wort 15.0 min Hop 5 28.7 IBUs
1.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 28.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 5.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 8.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep -5.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Palisade [7.50 %] - Aroma Steep -5.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [35.49 Yeast 11 -
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
0.75 oz Palisade [7.50 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Apollo [17.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 5.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 15.39 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 4 steps (Drain mash tun, , 1.47gal, 1.47gal, 1.47gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------

I have never had this beer but what is the aroma and hop flavor like? Analyzing that will help you determine what hop to drop and when. If it has a lush flavor but very piney, resinous aroma you are probably very close. If it is the inverse with a more resinous flavor but a more tropical fruity aroma I bet the chinook is closer to 20 minutes and the citra and amarillo are closer to 5 minutes or flame-out.

just my 2 cents. Either way that recipe looks like it will make a tasty beer!

I adjusted the grain bill to be more in line with the ABV and the hops to be closer to the posted IBU. I hope to give this a shot in the next couple of weeks. Do the masses think I am way off?

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Deep Ellum IPA Clone
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
Boil Size: 6.52 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.076 SG
Estimated Color: 5.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 69.3 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12 lbs 2.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 84.0 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 12.1 %
4.5 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 1.9 %
4.5 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4 1.9 %
0.50 oz Summit [17.00 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 5 28.4 IBUs
1.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 25.8 IBUs
1.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 6.0 IBUs
1.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 9.2 IBUs
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Day Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 14 lbs 7.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 20.55 qt of water at 162.2 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.17gal, 3.57gal) of 168.0 F water

How close did this get you? Any further changes? The DEBC IPA is an awesome beer!

I used this recipe and it's fermenting now....should be dryhopping today and kegging this weekend.
I've never had the beer and can't get it in my area but a friend will be sending me a few to try next to mine when it's ready.
It sure smelled great while fermenting and I'm very much looking forward to this one.

I am drinking one of these now. One of my favorite ipa's. Very cool that Drew chimed in to help! Another reason to love this brewery. Im adding this clone to list of upcoming brews

Mine's been in the keg a few weeks and I'm relatively pleased. The color is dead on but the aroma is light. I do enjoy it but I'm not crazy about the yeast I used.....Windsor. My LHBS didn't have 002 and I just had some 05, and some washed 1450 and 001 but the taste differences between cold and after it warms a bit are much more pronounced for me than with my other beers.

If and when I did this again, I'd first use 002 and second, i would add more dry hops and late additions.

How did this turn out? Does anybody have the extract recipe for this beer?

I don't have the extract recipe but can say that this recipe was very close. Color and aroma were spot on. The taste was close but I liked my version a little better as I thought it was more balanced.
I plan on making it again down the road.

Brewed this Saturday using your recipe. Never heard of the beer but it looks good. I boiled too hard and got to 1.090 so I had to add top off water to get it to 1.073. Hoping it turns out well.

Question for you guys in Dallas. Where are you getting the Summit and Apollo hops? I can't seem to find them locally. WMTS says they can get Summit but it will take 2-3 weeks and they say they have no access to Apollo. I am looking for substitutions just in case.

+1 for an extract recipe. This is a great beer and would like to make it using extract. New to home brewing so not equipped or ready for all grain.

Brewing this Sat even without the Summit and Apollo. Subbing Millenium for the FWH and Columbus for the dry hop. The AA is pretty close and they will both be close to summit and apollo. But if you know where to get them, still let me know.

Just did a side by side, blind taste test. Two of us tested. It was damn close but both of chose the clone as the better beer. More bite and more bitterness. Damn impressed with this clone. Thanks for all of the input into the recipe. This will become a regular in the rotation.

So I have been trying to figure out how to convert a recipe from All Grain to Partial Mash and really want to brew this beer so gave it a go. Does this look right or close to right for partial mash??

Partial Mash

Recipe Specifications
Boil Size: 3 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.076 SG
Estimated Color: 5.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 69.3 IBUs

Ingredients

2.75 lbs Pale Malt
1 lb 12 oz of Vienna Malt
4.5 oz of Honey Malt
4.5 oz of White Wheat Malt

5.43 lbs of LME

0.50 oz Summit [17.00 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 5 28.4 IBUs
1.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 25.8 IBUs
1.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 6.0 IBUs
1.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 9.2 IBUs
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Day Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Total Grain Weight - 5 lbs

Mash In Add 1.625 gallons of water at 162.2 F 152 F for 60 mins
Sparge with 2.6 gallons of water at 168 F

Does this okay? I might be way off as this is my first attempt.

Cheers,

Jake

Might give this a go on the weekend.
I have a load of Summit I would like to use.

However I don't have WLP002/1968 yeast.

What would be the best option from the following:

WLP011 European Ale Yeast
US-05
Nottingham
Windsor
S-04
S-33
BRY-97

Maybe even a Belgian IPA with Belgian Strong Ale 1388 :cross:

Thanks! :tank:

Edited to add - will sub the apollo with columbus and the palisade with Willamette

Might give this a go on the weekend.
I have a load of Summit I would like to use.

However I don't have WLP002/1968 yeast.

What would be the best option from the following:

WLP011 European Ale Yeast
US-05
Nottingham
Windsor
S-04
S-33
BRY-97

Maybe even a Belgian IPA with Belgian Strong Ale 1388 :cross:

Thanks! :tank:

Edited to add - will sub the apollo with columbus and the palisade with Willamette

I believe S-04 is basically the dry version of WLP002. I've brewed my last several beers (mostly IPAs) with S-04 and it makes a really nice beer. Hydrate and definitely use a blow off tube!!! Mine always start within 12 hours and are going crazy by 24.

I believe S-04 is basically the dry version of WLP002. I've brewed my last several beers (mostly IPAs) with S-04 and it makes a really nice beer. Hydrate and definitely use a blow off tube!!! Mine always start within 12 hours and are going crazy by 24.

Thanks.

I still didn't brew this but when I get around to brewing it I'll give the S-04 a go.

:mug:

Was going to brew tonight but I realize I only have 2 packs of American 1056... Is this bad? My local shop doesn't sell white labs English ale.

Hi All,

I still didn't brew this but have finally put in into Beersmith and plan on brewing sometime in May.

One thing that's not clear for me is what the FG of this beer is.
In the posted recipe the OG should be about 1.075 but if it is only a 7% beer then the FG would be around 1.022 which is way too high for an IPA.
Or am I missing something?

Should I be thinking about aiming for a lower OG or will this attenuate a few point lower ending up with something more like an 8% beer?

Thanks!

Hi All,

I still didn't brew this but have finally put in into Beersmith and plan on brewing sometime in May.

One thing that's not clear for me is what the FG of this beer is.
In the posted recipe the OG should be about 1.075 but if it is only a 7% beer then the FG would be around 1.022 which is way too high for an IPA.
Or am I missing something?

Should I be thinking about aiming for a lower OG or will this attenuate a few point lower ending up with something more like an 8% beer?

Thanks!

Yeah, if you want a 7% beer, I would lower OG down to about 1.066 and expect to finish at 1.012. Mash at around 152.

Hi All,

I brewed this on Saturday following the recipe in post #8.
I just made two changes
1. subbed Willamette for Palisade as it's what I had
2. Used Abbey malt instead of Honey malt as I cant get it here.

It's bubbling away now and I will add the dry hop on day 7.
My question is what is the preferred dry hop?
I have seen several possibilities mentioned here:
Citra, Palisade, Amarillo
Citra, Apollo, Amarillo
Citra, Amarillo
Citra, Apollo, Palisade

Which one is correct?

BTW I don't have Palisade and Apollo and will sub them with Willamette and Summit.

Hi All,

I brewed this on Saturday following the recipe in post #8.
I just made two changes
1. subbed Willamette for Palisade as it's what I had
2. Used Abbey malt instead of Honey malt as I cant get it here.

It's bubbling away now and I will add the dry hop on day 7.
My question is what is the preferred dry hop?
I have seen several possibilities mentioned here:
Citra, Palisade, Amarillo
Citra, Apollo, Amarillo
Citra, Amarillo
Citra, Apollo, Palisade

Which one is correct?

BTW I don't have Palisade and Apollo and will sub them with Willamette and Summit.

So I am going to dry hop now.
Decided on 1oz Citra and 0.75 oz each of Amarillo and Summit.
Had an OG of 1.066 and was 1.018 two days ago.
Should be a good time to dry hop.

Will report back in 3 weeks after it is 2 weeks in the bottle. :tank:

So I am going to dry hop now.
Decided on 1oz Citra and 0.75 oz each of Amarillo and Summit.
Had an OG of 1.066 and was 1.018 two days ago.
Should be a good time to dry hop.

Will report back in 3 weeks after it is 2 weeks in the bottle. :tank:

Well guys it's just over 3 weeks in the bottle now and it tastes great.
About a week ago it was all Citra which was also great but now its a nice balance between all hops. A really nice Summer IPA, a definite re-brew without changing anything, unless I get a bit adventurous around the time of brewing. :mug:

It was also the first brew where I reduced my whirlpool temperature and extended the time from 30 mins to an hour. So maybe that helped too.

Well guys it's just over 3 weeks in the bottle now and it tastes great.
About a week ago it was all Citra which was also great but now its a nice balance between all hops. A really nice Summer IPA, a definite re-brew without changing anything, unless I get a bit adventurous around the time of brewing. :mug:

It was also the first brew where I reduced my whirlpool temperature and extended the time from 30 mins to an hour. So maybe that helped too.

Now that I think about it next time I might turn down the Abv. to 5.5% and make it a bit more Summer friendly.
It's a tasty beer that you just want to keep drinking but at 7.2% after 2 of them it's a bit :drunk:

Back