Its fall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Reaction score
And that means I can brew again. Just gets too hot here to brew in the summer.

So I have about 6 batches of extract 1 partial under my belt but I have a few questions.

I just made my first apflewein and its in my bucket but its not bubbeling up. I looked at it and it looks pretty its got bubbles on it but I haven't seen the airlock move. It has been sitting there for almost 48 hours @ about 70 degrees.

And my other question was about some of the older brews from this spring. I had a batch of stout that went from flat to carbed over a period of a few months but then when it started tasting good it quickly got a bad alcohol taste to it. I ended up throwing the last few bottles out. Same thing happened with another batch I made this spring. It was tasting great then it got this off flavor and it wasn't drinkable. I am wondering if the ambient temp got too hot for the bottled beer? I did let them sit in their boxes for a while before I cooled them off.

Thanks

if you don' t have a perfect seal, the airlock won't bubble. you could do a hydrometer test and compare it to the OG. after 2 days it would have dropped many points.

or, it could be lag time. by 'its got bubbles on it' do you mean krausen, or just little bubbles floating to the surface? both indicate fermentation, though if its the latter I'd say you've been in a lag phase for 2 days and by tomorrow morning it should be going nuts.

as for the other question, beer has to get hot and stay hot (like 120f for weeks) to screw it up in aging. the alcohol taste isn't what I'd expect though. i wonder if they got oxidized and the other flavors going stale is just making the alcohol more pronounced?

Malkore - The bubbles look like little krausen its just not very pronounced. IT smells great. I thought it could be the seal so I put on another lid and still nothing popping but it looks active. The yeast I used is Lalvin k1-v116

Yopper - Fusel eh? I thought there must be a name for it and I think that has to be it as it gets pretty hot here in the summer even with the ac running all day.

Thanks for the replys.

Fish said:
Malkore - The bubbles look like little krausen its just not very pronounced. IT smells great. I thought it could be the seal so I put on another lid and still nothing popping but it looks active. The yeast I used is Lalvin k1-v116

Yopper - Fusel eh? I thought there must be a name for it and I think that has to be it as it gets pretty hot here in the summer even with the ac running all day.

Thanks for the replys.

Curious, where's here? Thought fall was starting here but supposed to be 98 tomorrow :(

Well DB here is Sacramento. My brother-in-law is in Tucson. Went to visit him and man thats a hot place. Hot and hot. Not much else going there as far as I could tell from people standing around noticing how hot it was. ;) It will get to about 115 here in the summer although this year was pretty mild.

It started bubbling. I am happy now. This week should be in the 70-80s. I love that.

Back