blow-off question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike3701

Reaction score
New to homebrew, picked up a kit at the local homebrew shop, thought they gave me everything i need. Never told me about blow-off hoses,do i have to have one? is it for certain beers only? or every beer? thanks:ban:

go to home depot or Lowes in the plumbing aisle. Measure the inside diameter of your carboy spout and get tubing that is that big on the outside diameter. you'll want 3 or 4 feet.

If your primary is a 5 gallon, you'll definitely need a blow off. If your primary is 6.5 gallons you probably wont need it, but i always use one anyways. :D

definitely need it for hefes and high gravity beers.

you probably don't have to worry about it for anything else, especially if you're not using a starter.

DeathBrewer said:
definitely need it for hefes and high gravity beers.

you probably don't have to worry about it for anything else, especially if you're not using a starter.

Yup...depending on what your are brewing, a blowoff tube may not be needed. If you were to have a blow out with out one, clean everything off and just button it back up after. I second Tally's recommendation about getting some tubing from a box/DIY shop if you think you need one.

I've only needed a blow off tube once or twice. Usually, if you have enough headspace in your fermenter you don't need a blow off tube.

It does depend on the size of your primary (I use a bucket), though.

I've only needed one a couple of times. Usually big beers and when I've put 5.5 gallons of wort into a 6 gallon carboy.

I imagine you'd want one if you are dry hopping in a primary too. You don't want a leaf plugging up the airlock hole.

With buckets, I just take the airlock grommet off, slide it around my siphon hose and fit the grommet back on the lid.

Back