What does force carbonate mean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOrphan

Reaction score
im looking into getting a 5 gal. keg that uses Co2 cartridges to carbinate the keg. So i was reading the description and noticed that it says " cannot be used to force carbonate." Does that mean that with the Co2 cartridges it won't carbonate the beer? So whats the purpose of the Co2 cartrdges? heres the amazon link:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CE61OC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Says it right in the item description... "Portable Homebrew Dispensing Kit" The small CO2 cartridges will refill the headspace, but not provide enough pressure to carbonate your brew. For that, you need a more proper setup.

what it means is that when you keg, most people carbonate their beer by keeping it under co2 pressure. eventually, usually 1-2 weeks depending on a lot of factors, it's fully carbonated from the flat beer you started with. those co2 cartridges are for, once it's carbed, keeping it fully carbed while serving, since the co2 level drops as you serve it. those cartridges replace what is lost during serving

ok thanks for the info. i guess i kinda figured but i was still a little confused on what it meant. thanks for clarifying

There are various 'kits' out there for carbonating, and serving, homebrew from kegs. Keg Connection has several options, to meet your budget ideas and needs. I've found that it doesn't pay to go cheap in these things. Get a Taprite regulator, and then a 5# CO2 tank to start. Get a manifold if you plan on feeding the same pressure to more than one keg. If you want more than one carbonation level, then get a dual body regulator from the start (plan ahead). Also get a spare CO2 tank ASAP so that when you run out with the one connected, you can simply swap and then get the empty one filled at a more relaxed pace.

There's more to it, but those are the basics, IMO.

Back