Question that I haven't found yet in the Apfelwein threads. :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Szerek

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to make a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein, however, SWMBO does NOT like dry drinks.

I read in the original thread that some people use splenda to sweeten it a bit (I will be bottle carbing my batch). Any idea how much I should add to a 5 gallon batch? At this point I think I'm going to use nottingham yeast and 2 lbs of brown sugar, but I still don't think that will leave enough sweetness for her taste.

Thanks in advance.

You may just want to try a small batch without any added sugar, and use Cote des blanc yeast. It turns out a little sweeter without having to add any unfermentables.

I back-sweetened with apple juice concentrate and campden of course. No complaints so far!

I mixed a packet of splenda in a pint to see what it was like. I did not like it at all, plus it fizzed up everywhere making a mess. I would go with more juice or a different yeast.

Back