First recipe Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quanzo

Reaction score
So I wanted to try making my own recipe, but I'm not too confident that I know what I'm doing. I'm going for a Belgian White. Anyways here what I have so far.

6.5# Bel Pilsner
4# Bel Wheat Malt
15 Oz flaked oats
10 Oz Honey Malt
6 Oz aromatic Malt
0.5 Oz Hallertauer 60
0.5 Oz Hallertauer 20
0.5 Oz Tettnang 40
0.5 Oz Tettnang 30
Belgian Ardennes Wyeast. #3522

With maybe some coriander and orange peel. Any advice or critiques are welcome.

First glance? This needs a lot of work before it's going to be a good Witbier. That said, if you brewed the beer as-is and handed me a bottle, I think I'd enjoy the hell out of it! If you called it a Wit, I'd be very confused. Here's why:

WAY too much hops. One addition, and that small for a bit of bittering only, is appropriate for Wit.
You must have coriander and orange peel to have Wit. Without those it's just a Belgian-style wheat beer.
Consider other spices. There are many which work well in Wit. Search these forums for a variety of threads musing on Wit.
Lose the Honey and Aromatic. Don't need it. Substitute flaked wheat or more wheat malt.
Oddly, I like Ardennes in a Wit. It has become my house yeast for Belgian ales, and I <3 it.

Cheers!

Bob :mug:

Back