Didnt buy enough LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knelson

Reaction score
Long story short, I am brewing a IIPA on Sunday. The recipe called for 9#'s of DME. I am cheap so I opted for the LME to save a few bucks but forgot to do the math and correct for the additional 20% i need so I only ended up with 9.15LBS. I have a little bit (less than a LB) that I use to make startes with, but thats about it.

Can I sub in some cane sugar just to get the sugar content up so I can hit my 1.078 OG? Or should I bite the bullet and run back over the LHBS and pick up another LB of DME?

Thanks All!

How close is the store? A pound of honey might work if you have that laying around.

Or screw it and make an IPA.

The store is about 25 miles from my house in the middle of the city so its not exactly convenient to go there. Maybe I'll add some honey, the rest of my DME and some cane suger and see what happens. then I can call it my own recipe right?

Maybe I'll call it "Forgot to do the math and didnt buy enough LME so I used random sugars I had around the house IIPA" Its got a nice ring too it. Might be hard to fit on a label though

You can slightly reduce the overall volume of the recipe by the percentage you are off as well. Sugar will dry out your recipe and give you something different, but reducing the size should be okay, as long as you remember to lighten your hop schedule.

I've decided to drive over to the LHBS to grab another LB of extract. I already spent $53.00 on this batch. I would hate for it to turn out poorly due to me being lazy

Pick up 2 lbs to be safe. cane sugar works fine in small amounts I have used maple syrup before with good results 1 pint for 5 gallons. Doubt anyone would know the difference in a double IPA.

Latest posts

Back