Rack, Bottle, or wait?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rennerbrew

Reaction score
Have a 5 gallon batch of Chief Niwot's Mead, the recipe from Charlie Papazian's "Complete Joy of Home Brewing", in the works.

Started with 13lbs of clover honey, boiled with water gypsum, and acid blend for 15 minutes. Added 1 tsp. per gallon (5) of Fermax yeast nutrient before pitching yeast (Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast) because I didn't know about stepped nutrient additions until doing some reading here.

Anyway, it's been fermenting for 3 weeks, SG reading today is 1.000 OG was 1.094 (@ 70 deg. F.). My gravity readings differ from those indicated in the recipe but that doesn't concern me much, lots of things could account for the variation. The difference in readings seems to indicate that fermentation is pretty near complete, though.

The recipe says bottle with the addition of 1/3 cup of corn sugar (carbonated mead) - ready to drink as soon as it's cleared. No mention of racking or bulk aging. This last bit is completely at odds with everything I read here. Anyone know if I can actually do this without exploding bottles?

If you are using champagne yeast, it could still be working. I'd give it another week and check SG. If it's the same, rack to secondary and wait for it to clear, then bottle.

Back