First All Grain Tonight - Look Over My Procedure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveotero

Reaction score
Making Ed-Wort's IPA which was my favorite extract brew so I figured it would be a good comparison. Here's my planned procedure. I know the timeline might get off but how does it look otherwise? Am I forgetting anything?

0:00 - Measure strike water and begin to heat.
Weigh and prepare grain
Setup MLT

0:30 - Preheat MLT with +10F water. Cover for 5 min then add mash water additions & mash 5.2, stir to strike temp.

0:40 - Mash in, check ph, cover, and set timer.
Measure sparge water and cover pot.
Prepare ingredients for boil.

1:20 Heat sparge water

1:40 Vorlauf, drain first runnings (FWH if any)
Add sparge water & sparge 5.2, stir well, cover for 10 min.
starting heating first runnings.

2:00 Vorlouf, drain second runnings, add sparge water additions to kettle.

2:30 Start boil.

3:15 add chiller to boil, rehydrate dry yeast if any.

3:30 Kill heat and start chiller.
prepare and sanitize fermenter and any tubing or tools

3:50 Transfer wort, pitch yeast, set firm fridge.
Clean up.

And here's my Recipe.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.30 gal
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 10.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 75.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 86.3 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.8 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
1.00 oz Warrior [16.00%] (60 min) Hops 52.7 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00%] (15 min) Hops 16.3 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00%] (5 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 tsp Gelatin (Secondary 2.0 days) Misc
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
5.00 gal Westminster, CO Water
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge (2qt / lb)
Total Grain Weight: 12.75 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 6.38 gal of water at 161.5 F 154.0 F 60 min

And then there's the water. My tap water looks pretty good but I'm a little low in Calcium. I don't have a scale capable of reading .1 grams so I would have to try and convert these to teaspoons. Is it worth it, or would you recommend just using the filtered tap? I'll probably use some 5.2 just for extra precaution.

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 31
Mg: 8
Na: 19
Cl: 25
SO4: 54
CaCO3: 77

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 6.38 / 1.71
Dilution Rate: 0%

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaCO3: 2 / 0.536050157
CaSO4: 0 / 0
CaCl2: 1 / 0.268025078
MgSO4: 2.5 / 0.670062696
NaHCO3: 0 / 0
NaCl: 0 / 0
HCL Acid: 0 / 0
Lactic Acid: 0 / 0

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 75 / 75
Mg: 18 / 18
Na: 19 / 19
Cl: 45 / 45
SO4: 94 / 94
CaCO3: 127 / 127

RA (mash only): 62 (10 to 15 SRM)
Cl to SO4 (total water): 0.48 (Very Bitter)

:mug:

That's pretty detailed. What helps me is a checklist. Depending on what brewing software (looks like you are beersmith) their brewing checklist is very helpful.

Yea, I tried to think my way though it a few times and write down the process. Even some of the extract brews I've done so far have been kinda of hectic for me so I wanted to make sure I was prepared.

I'm about half way though the mash right now and everything seems to be going smoothly. Going to be a late night. :rockin:

If you manage your first AG in sub4 then that's pretty respectful.
I'd make sure you have 6 hours plus available.
Keep a few spare tubs around to keep the hot chiller water for clean up.

****, my first runnings aren't flowing at all! I can blow back through the tube fine but after that I only get a few trickles! Not sure what the issue is. Could my braid maybe have collapsed?

What to do now? Paint strainer?

Edit: Stirring the mash does nothing? This was a simple gain bill, was not expecting this.

Sound possible. Are you sure it's stainless not plastic.

If needs be can yo get your hand in and take the braid off and then run through a strainer.

Good news is it's pre boil so no need to worry about bugs and stuff. The first runnings will keep while you sort things.

Well, I didn't loose any temp during the mash so it was 154F.

I didn't use a plastic support. Most of what I read said it wasn't necessary.

I've never use a braid so I can't say but I'd expect the weight of the mash to compact the braid without support.

Let us know when you find the issue.

You sure went into it with more detail than I did (did my first AG batch in June, have done around 8), not that there's anything wrong with that. I did a couple of kits, then for the third I put a Corona mill into action and crushed my own, making a cousin of your brew, EW's Haus Pale Ale. That first crush wasn't very efficient, but I got it dialed in, and the rest of my batches have turned out fine. Good luck in your AG future!

NB: I use Bargain Fittings' unsupported large diameter braid, and it works fine.

Alright, finally have time to recap here.

First off, thanks for all the help last night from those who responded here and the one guy I talked with in chat.

All in all things went alright. The stuck sparge was definitely unexpected and turned the night into a 6 hour brew from probably a 4.5 hour brew. I never did get wort to flow (I'll get to the issue later) so I had to improvise. I dumped the entire mash into two buckets then poured back into my boil kettle through a large strainer. I would pour until the strainer was full of grain, let it sit and drain for a few, dump the grain into another bucket, and pour again. I forgot about the sparge at first and tossed the first strainer full of grain into the trash. I admit I grabbed a hand full of "untouched" grain of the top and threw it back :D, but it was mostly ruined. Then I dumped my volume of sparge water into the bucket with the grains, stirred well, and covered for 10 min. Strained that wort back into the kettle the same way. All of this made a huge mess and I lost a good amount on the floor.

I'm guessing I had close to 6.5 gal of 120F wort at this point and it took my stove a while to get it up to a boil. After the boil started it went fairly well. I forgot to start re-hydrating the yeast early so when the time came I just sprinkled it on. By that time is was 4am and I was ultra tired. Ended up with 5.4 gal of wort with an OG of 1.057. I essentially had no MLT dead space anymore and with the slightly larger boil volume my stove had a hard time keeping up resulting in a lower boil off rate. After adjusting for batch volume the brewhouse efficiency was 67%. The wort was really cloudy, but after sitting in my hydro tube for about 20 min it was already clearing up nicely. I think the whirlfloc will do it's job and I'll probably use gelatin anyway, just hoping I don't get any astringency from the small particle husk material that made it into the boil.

Now to the issue of the stuck sparge. During the boil I decided to trouble shoot a little and dumped the spent grains back in the MLT and filled with 5 gal of hot tap water. I stirred well and let it settle for about 10 min. Tried to drain and again, pretty much nothing. This water was cool enough for me to stick my arm in so I tried messing with the braid, even blowing in the tube and trying to feel where the bubbles were coming out. Couldn't even get a drop. I ended up dumping it and putting off the rest of the investigation till this morning.

Now, I put this MLT together about a month ago, so I had forgotten some of the build details, one of which turned out to be important. I decided to go with a compression fitting setup rather than the barb and hose clamp. I had read about people having issues with SS hose clamps rusting and wanted a cleaner install. I built what you see here. When I originally freed the braid from it's maternal supply line I used a dremel tool which left the ends pretty frayed. I neglected to clean them up and ended up with what you see... here.

You can see all the mash gunk that built up behind the "rat nests" but was hidden by the fittings. I washed out the braid and used wire cutters to snip the ends off clean and reassembled. It already drains water faster and I can sense the increased flow rate when blowing through the bulkhead. I'm hoping that was the only issue and my next AG will be problem free. Looking back it was an absolutely retarded thing to fold the ends in like that. I suppose I didn't anticipate the smaller particle material that would get through the braid but clog at a spot like that.

Live and Learn. Hopefully someone else can learn from this and live a little easier.
:mug:

Back