Barley Crusher, is this one any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkUncle

Reaction score
http://www.beersmith.com/barley_crusher.htm

This is the one I was looking at. Does anyone have any opinions/experience with this? Or perhaps even be able to offer up any alternatives? This will be my first barley crusher as I've just recently gone AG and I now want to buy in bulk. Hence the need for a barley crusher.

Thanks all

A simple search would've resulted in numerous threads about the barley crusher. Thats what I did before I bought mine.

That's the one I have and I love it. I hook up my corded drill to it and crush away.

Yes......There's a bunch of threads in the similar threads box below.
But, but, but... if he didn't start this thread the box below wouldn't have existed!?!?
Post Hoc... mumbo jumbo here :D

A simple search would've resulted in numerous threads about the barley crusher. Thats what I did before I bought mine.

Tru Dat.

Almost every subject on HBT has been covered to death. Some days you get people willing to be talkative on a subject, other days not so much. Sometimes a new nugget of info pops into a thread never before mentioned.

Sadly I don't have that new nugget! However I will tell you that my BC is adequate for my needs but that if I was to buy a new mill I'd look at something else for longevity purposes as I don't find the build quality to be all that great.

But, but, but... if he didn't start this thread the box below wouldn't have existed!?!?
Post Hoc... mumbo jumbo here :D

Tru Dat.

:confused:

I just went back from answering simply yes that was a good crusher to pointing out there were threads for him to look at, so wtf you giving me grief for? Why aren't you giving 509 **** for saying search? I actually did something conscructive, and actually pointed out where to look...:rolleyes:

Yes, my apologies. SHould have done a search first. Next thing I was going to ask is which size you would recommend but at the expense of getting yelled at or causing further argument, I will go do a search for that. :rolleyes:

And I will agree that for the most part, one would be very hard pressed to come up with an original never before discussed topic on these boards. Related to beer anyway. Care to try?

I recently bought the 7# and it works ok since I can only weight 5# on my scale. The grain bill for most of my 5gallon recipes would fit in the 15#.

original never before discussed topic on these boards. Related to beer anyway. Care to try?

Boulevard Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale. Tried last week and search here for more info with no luck.

Yes, my apologies. SHould have done a search first. Next thing I was going to ask is which size you would recommend but at the expense of getting yelled at or causing further argument, I will go do a search for that. :rolleyes:

And I will agree that for the most part, one would be very hard pressed to come up with an original never before discussed topic on these boards. Related to beer anyway. Care to try?

But you have to realize, that with 40,000 members, the size question more than likely has already been discussed thoroughly in one of those threads, and you could find a ton of info, and then while bumping one of those threads, ask further questions of those folks.

The thing to me about searching is two fold, and I really hate coming off as a search nazi, BUT

1) There is a huuuge amount of state of the art brewing info on here...info that is even more current than palmer (only becasue it takes 2-3 years to get a book out.) Some of us have spent hours writing stuff up, like blogs or long answers to basic questions, including searching for links like audio and video casts to answer those basic questions...And we want you to know it exists, and we want you to utilize it to be the best damn brewer's you can be.

SO when I say it's been covered before, I'm not saying "hey a$$hat, use the search."

I'm saying "Hey, there's some kick ass info on that very topic, put together from some amazing brewers, and it's free, right here, you don't need to buy a book....all you need to do is click "search" and maybe play with the words a couple times...

2) A lot of the "kick ass brewers" who are here, and were here before I got here have stopped answering the same noob questions over and over. Most of those people get tired of it after a couple months, and just ignore these threads...From what people tell me, for doing it constantly for a year, I'm an anomoly....maybe because of my 'calling" (yes I am a minister for the 10,000th time ) I have an almost pathological need to help people...whether it's in a church or in a brewery.

Which means that the people who might be best able to answer your basic question are NOT going to because they did it 6 months ago, and feel that that's enough. Or they are no longer here...but their info is still here and still valuable...

So that really means that if you just start a thread, especially if you are asking about "Stainless vs Aluminum" or Plastic waterbottles or "is my beer ruined," or "what;s your opinion on...?" You may not GET THE BEST INFORMATION YOU COULD BE GETTING You could be getting the same outdated "party line" out of Palmer or Papazian, (which are actually several years of in the case of Charlie over a decade old) when there was some new discovery a few weeks back that we all talked to death and learned from...and we want you to know about it too...

I also have found, as someone that answers a lot of questions everyday, that if a person reads a thread on their "basic question" first and maybe bumps that thread up, that their question has a lot more depth than it might have been...because maybe they zeroed in on an issue from one or more of the posts in a thread...and then rather than,

"What's that fuzzy stuff on top of my beer?" To "Oh I thought my beer was infected, now I know it's a krauzen, it's normal, and it has proteins and other things in it, so what kinda proteins are there, do they come from the yeasts, the wort or both, and should I skim it or not?"

Which is more fun for me to answer because it may lead me to search, or to google or to recall some fuzzy bit of info I heard on a podcast and go search for it for you...and for me...

So get over it. If people keep asking the same question, we ARE going to suggest they search for the answers that are already here. And about 99% of the time we are going to be nice about.

Heck most of the time I do the searching for the person and post the links. But I can't do it 100% of the time, since I often am now answering from my smart phone, and it's not easy to post links from there. And if I can't I usually provide the search words that I use in the post, like give them the paramters that I use.

But again, whether you like it or not, the times we do suggest someone search it is on the questions that get asked over and over and over and over, where the answer is going to be exactly the same, which was more than likely given over and over and over. And hasn't changed in the 10,000 times we've answered it before. So why do we need to re-invent the wheel or beat a dead horse to the ground on the same answers that are already there?

original never before discussed topic on these boards. Related to beer anyway. Care to try?

I did yesterday
neener.gif
neener.gif
neener.gif

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/history-tap-homebrewing-contest-tv-show-history-channel-wtf-213750/

But I can gaurentee you that if the show does repeat, there will be more than one thread about it. And had it not been on the day after Christmas there would have been a ton more trheads about it as it popped up on tv.

:confused:

I just went back from answering simply yes that was a good crusher to pointing out there were threads for him to look at, so wtf you giving me grief for? Why aren't you giving 509 **** for saying search? I actually did something conscructive, and actually pointed out where to look...:rolleyes:

No grief intended Rev... just so happened to read your custom user title and I thought it fit the moment perfectly!

But really.... would the box be down there if the thread didn't exist?:ban:

Latest posts

Back