Warsteiner All grain recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9.0 lbs Pilsner Malt
6 0z CaraPils malt

.5 oz (6.65 AAU) Magnum Hops 60 minutes
.5 oz (2 AAU) Tettanger Hops 15 minutes
.5 oz (2 AAU) Hallertau Hops 15 minutes

Dry Hop;
.25 oz Hallertau
.25 oz Saaz

Wyeast 2124 or White labs WLP830

This is according to: "The Best of BYO, 150 Clone recipes"

Hope this helps, keep us posted on how it turns out.
Josh

I'd love to try this.. is there any "lagering" involved.. do I need to chill it ??

woulda been nice to point out in the original recipe..
any idea how cold and how long..??

woulda been nice to point out in the original recipe..
any idea how cold and how long..??

I do all small lagers the same:

2 weeks @ 45
3 days @ 65
1 week @ 30

I made 15 gallons of warstiener last year. Ferment with Wyeast Bavarian or Bohemian lager.

Oh yea, make sure you boil for at least 90 minutes, then cool fast. That pilsner will produce a ton of DMS and there is nothing for it to hide behind.

make sure your pilsner is imported from germany, i like weyermann's pilsner. if you brew with american malt it'll taste like american lagers.

I am brewing this on Sat, and will be my 4th all grain, and first lager. What is ideal mash temp for something like this beer? All my ales I just mash around 150 (browns and IPAs).

I should mention I have a HERMS setup. So I can do step mashes.

On nothern brewers Bavarian Helles which is similar, it states a single infusion at 151, and mashout 170...

They also state doing protein 122, then 149, then 158, then mash out 170.

Either are fine with me, is one really better? I heard with these "Better" malts protein rests are not necessary?

Thanks
Trent

i've done decoctions, step mashes and single infusions on german lagers and for me the difference was very slight, not much difference than what would vary from batch to batch anyway. i will note that i had thinner-tasting beer with a quickly dissipating head using a long protein rest in the 120's, lately i've been single infusion mashing high around 156 with good results.

Necro thread I know...

Just brewed this today-used the details of the recipe in the new BYO book I got as a gift for Christmas. Odd mash schedule listed IMHO, I did add some acid malt to bring the ph down. Pitched 2 rehydrated sachets of Zurich S-189 lager yeast from Fermentis once it cooled to 50f.

I’ll let it go 3-4 days there then slowly bring up to the low 60’s in a swamp cooler in the basement and let it clean up then fine and keg.

Hopefully it’ll be a nice summer thirst quencher!

Back