Info with my recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerzilla81

Reaction score
Hello all! Let me first say thank for any info you all may bestow on me. I've done about 8-9 extract brews, all recipes bought from northern brewer. I recently purchased some ingredients for an Ipa and I'm not really sure what would be the best way to utilize them. I also plan to dry hop. If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to help. Thank you again brewers!

1Lb Briess caramel malt 40L
6.6 light LME
3Lbs plain amber DME
3oz summit hops
3oz sterling hops
2oz cascade
Safale s-04

Heya Brewzilla,

Not sure what advice you were looking for in particular. I see that you are an extract brewer, and plan to steep some Crystal-40 for some color. Are you doing full boils? or boiling half the volume and adding water to meet your 5-gallon batch goal?

Also, these ingredients, are they part of a kit, or did you just grab them with a plan to use them to formulate a recipe? Just curious if you already have a hop schedule in mind, etc.

That being said, if I could only use those incredients, I might try something like this...

Recipe: Beerzilla IPA
Style: American IPA
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.28 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.074 SG
Estimated Color: 11.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 61.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 1 5.0 %
3.00 lb Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 2 29.7 %
6.60 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 3 65.3 %
1.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 51.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 6.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Sterling [7.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 4.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 7 -
2.00 oz Sterling [7.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

At least that is a start for you. The Sterling hop is not my usual choice for an American IPA, but I can see it having a supporting role with the Cascades. I've done some IPA's with Liberty & Mt.Hood, which are of nobel hop origin like Sterling, so I can see where it might work well.

Not sure how high Alpha Acid your Summit hops are... in Beersmith, they are very high, so you don't need much to get your IBU's up there.

My loose rule of thumb on IPA's are about 2 oz of hops in the kettle, and 2-6 oz as dry-hops. The above is 3 and 3 ...

Anyways, hope that gives you some ideas for a start. Wish I could be of more help ...
--LexusChris

Thanx Lexus. I guess i should have stated that I'm not doing a full boil only partial. And those ingredients are not from a kit. Bought with intention of hopeing to make a recipe. This will be my first non kit brew.

Back