newb with kegs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc5md

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just getting everything around for my first go at brewing. My father-in-law upon hearing of my plan to begin brewing offered some used kegs that were just sitting in his garage (he's not a brewer).
He just dropped them off today. I had been thinking I'd need to replace EVERYTHING on them, but the posts and poppets actually look good, I think I might only need new o-rings.
My big question is that 3 are pin lock and 4 are ball lock.... What would you all do in a similar situation? Just buy hoses and disconnects for each system? Can the pin lock ones be converted over to ball lock- and if so, is it worth doing?
Oh and he's bringing up a CO2 cylinder too.
Thanks,
Quinn

I would convert them all to ball lock. You convert them for $10-15 each.

if you haven't started one brew yet, slow down. it will take you quite some time to fill 7 kegs, so take your time....there's no need to go spending money converting 3 pin locks to ball locks just yet. just my $.02

LOL, I didn't really even consider this! HA! I was just trying to put everything in to a single order to reduce shipping costs... I didn't even consider that I won't need those until later. :) Time to place my order tonight then :)
Thanks, Quinn

if you haven't started one brew yet, slow down. it will take you quite some time to fill 7 kegs, so take your time....there's no need to go spending money converting 3 pin locks to ball locks just yet. just my $.02

Back