Beer kit fermentet quickly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

songe

Reaction score
like the titel i wrote in the titel. my beer kit fermentet quite quick i think? its been 5 days and it went from 1040 OG and its now at 1009. Its still fermenting but its not as bubbely. which tells me that its not as exposive anymore.

can this create a bad taste to the beer?

No. Your beer is doing just fine. 5 days is a pretty normal amount of time for the "active" fermentation (the bubbly part). At 1.009, the beer is probably done actively fermenting, or it is very close. You can leave the beer in the fermenter for a month or more without causing any "bad taste" in the beer. In fact, most people here suggest leaving the beer in the fermenter for 2 or 3 weeks. Leaving the beer in the fermenter for 2 to 3 weeks actually results in a better tasting beer most of the time.

Do not rush to take the beer out of the fermenter. Be patient, and give the yeast time to make the best beer possible. :mug:

okay. since my last kit took 3 weeks to stop bubbeling, anyways...this is a belgian golden ale kit... and my batch is 20l approx 5 gallons... how much sugar would i need to carbonate this?

Are you using table sugar (cane sugar) or corn sugar (dextrose)? How much carbonation do you want in your beer? Belgian styles usually have high carbonation levels compared to other styles of beer.

5 ounces (140 grams) of corn sugar would be a good starting point. If you use table sugar then you probably want to increase that to about 5.5 ounces (155 grams). this would give a little more carbonation than most styles of beer, but a little less than the amount that is "correct" for a Belgian. I would not use too much more sugar than that, though, unless you use special "Belgian" bottles or champagne bottles. These bottles can resist higher pressures without breaking. The high pressure of carbonation can break regular beer bottles if you use too much sugar.

Hmm im just using normal beer bottles, Im thinking of using dextrose for carbonating this time. Ive used table sugar before and that went okay.

Hmm im just using normal beer bottles, Im thinking of using dextrose for carbonating this time. Ive used table sugar before and that went okay.

Since you are using normal beer bottles, I suggest 5 ounces (140 grams) for priming. This will get you pretty close to the maximum safe recommended carbonation level for regular bottles, and should be just about right for a Belgian Golden.

DrummerBoySeth said:
Since you are using normal beer bottles, I suggest 5 ounces (140 grams) for priming. This will get you pretty close to the maximum safe recommended carbonation level for regular bottles, and should be just about right for a Belgian Golden.

I second this. That's exactly how much I used for the saison I just bottled. If I had corkable bottles I would have gone with more, but I didn't want to push it.

aight! cant wait to taste it when its done! just gotta get more stuff, when im getting smaller batches for brewing melomel

Back