What Do These Leaves Mean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDonn63

Reaction score
About 10 weeks ago I planted one each Chinook, Cascade, Hallertau, and Tettnanger in pretty large 20.5 inch pots (pictured below). They were planted in potting mix then covered with mulch. I've noticed that some of the leaves on the Hallertau and Tettnanger have started to discolor and wilt. I don't know if it is due to under or over watering, or a lack of fertilizer. The potting mix had slow release fertilizer mixed in, and I hit them with Miracle Gro Organic Liquid (primary ingredient is beet molasses) fertilizer yesterday. The first three pictures are from my Hallertau, the fourth one is from my Tettnanger, and the last just shows the pots I planted in. Any help is greatly appreciated.

008.jpg

009.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

010.jpg

First pic i don't like the webbing, is that from spider or those leave hoppers?

Iron. Leaves show strong chlorosis at the base of the leaves with some green netting. The most common symptom for iron deficiency starts out as an interveinal chlorosis of the youngest leaves, evolves into an overall chlorosis, and ends as a totally bleached leaf. The bleached areas often develop necrotic spots. Up until the time the leaves become almost completely white they will recover upon application of iron. In the recovery phase the veins are the first to recover as indicated by their bright green color. This distinct venial re-greening observed during iron recovery is probably the most recognizable symptom in all of classical plant nutrition. Because iron has a low mobility, iron deficiency symptoms appear first on the youngest leaves. Iron deficiency is strongly associated with calcareous soils and anaerobic conditions, and it is often induced by an excess of heavy metals.

Check out link

http://5e.plantphys.net/image.php?id=379

Look at my photos : I use Ironite once every 2 weeks. These are 2nd year plants. look at the other photos in my gallery for all the cones on my cascade.

Thanks for the advice! I think you nailed the problem. The new leaves at the top of the vines are for sure looking the worst, and the leaves on the link you posted look just like my troublemakers. I actually had some Ironite in the shed, and went ahead and applied two tablespoons to each planter. I used about the dosage the directions had for potted plants (1/2 tablespoon for a 14'' pot plus 1/2 tablespoon for every 4'' thereafter - I was a little over), then watered it in pretty well. I just hope I'm not over watering; I researched causes for iron deficiency, and a few different sources said that over watering can be the culprit. Out of curiosity, do you know how long it takes for the iron correction to be visible in the leaves? Also, your hops look great; I can't believe how full they are!

Yes I already picked some cascade hops just to smell them. I think it will take about 4 days to see. Also in the ironic are other micranutrients that are beneficial. Good luck

What are the 9 other minerials in ironite?
Is this the same thing? Or I'm also thinking maybe magnesium Def.
a3cb7ddf.jpg
[/IMG]

brian2can said:
Stevo here is link to label:
http://www.ironite.com/labels/2010/101-04.pdf

Here is the link of other deficiencies http://5e.plantphys.net/article.php?ch=t&id=289

For magneseum you could use epsom salt 1 tablespoon for 1 gallon of water.

Yeh. Heard that. Ive been looking at many deferent sites a deficiency symptoms. Maybe it's just me but alot of those deficiencys look the same. Oh. And not tryin to thread jack but it seems OP has his resolved and as many of these threads exists I'd rather just piggyback if y'all don't mind.

You're fine, I don't mind. From your pic it looks like you built your own planter? If I saw right, do you mind if I ask how much that cost you/how many rhizomes you can plant? I'm not committed yet to putting them in the ground as I know the root systems go crazy, and to get a decent sized planter at the store runs 20$ a pop.

PDonn63 said:
You're fine, I don't mind. From your pic it looks like you built your own planter? If I saw right, do you mind if I ask how much that cost you/how many rhizomes you can plant? I'm not committed yet to putting them in the ground as I know the root systems go crazy, and to get a decent sized planter at the store runs 20$ a pop.

Cool. It's made from scrap 2X4 and 1X6X6' dog ear pickets I already had. But a cost guess for a 3'X6' bed 3 boards high would be about $25. 2-3 crowns per bed.

I use the Miracle Gro Bloom when my cones are out. I add 1 Tablespoon to a gallon and water 3 plants with it, repeat until all are done. Do this once a week. Also forgot to mention that I used the Blood meal. Adding blood meal to garden soil will help raise the level of nitrogen and will help plants to grow more lush and green.

brian2can said:
I use the Miracle Gro Bloom when my cones are out. I add 1 Tablespoon to a gallon and water 3 plants with it, repeat until all are done. Do this once a week. Also forgot to mention that I used the Blood meal. Adding blood meal to garden soil will help raise the level of nitrogen and will help plants to grow more lush and green.

I like that. I used the blood meal a couple times. Are you mixing the blood meal in the bloom solution too or sprinkling?

sorry for the delay Stevo, I spinkled the Blood Meal. I am gonna pick some cones this weekend.

Stevo2569, how did you make out with those hops? I have had issues with mine that look something like this but end up with hops to harvest but bad looking leaves. If I could get better foliage I could probably get more hops.

On another subject, I read a thread that you had from some time ago on a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. I was wondering if you have worked on it any more or if you are happy with your final outcome. I brew all grain, had a friend give me a six pack of that stuff about 6 months ago and have not been able to get it off my mind since. I need to brew that stuff or take a trip to KY and
buy a 1/2 keg to bring back to PA.

If you don't mind, could you please give me your final recipe?

jiminpa said:
Stevo2569, how did you make out with those hops? I have had issues with mine that look something like this but end up with hops to harvest but bad looking leaves. If I could get better foliage I could probably get more hops.

On another subject, I read a thread that you had from some time ago on a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. I was wondering if you have worked on it any more or if you are happy with your final outcome. I brew all grain, had a friend give me a six pack of that stuff about 6 months ago and have not been able to get it off my mind since. I need to brew that stuff or take a trip to KY and
buy a 1/2 keg to bring back to PA.

If you don't mind, could you please give me your final recipe?

Hops did very well for first year crowns. Harvested about 3 lbs dried with another half lb left on the vines. As for my BBA. I've made it quite a few times now with a few bad experiments but back to the original recently with just minor mods. Pm you later with the data. Cheers.

Back