critique my first recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouperdude

Reaction score
Ok so I'm not saying I invented the wheel but this is what I have come up with as a citrusy beer that the woman would like and me to
3lb of wheat DME
1lb of light DME
1lb of candy sugar
1.5 lb white wheat

1oz mt hood 60 min
.5oz saaz(usa) 5 min
3tsp sweet orange peel 10 min
1tsp whole coriander 10min

then use a belgian ale yeast. Any thoughts?

Sounds pretty good overall. It's going to be pretty heavy on the mouth feel with the flaked oats and flaked wheat. Is that what your going for?

There is nothing in your steeping grains that can convert starch. you will have a very sweet beer since all of that starch won't convert to sugar

I could probably cut the wheat out and lower the flaked to 1/2 pound. I still am trying to learn what effects what.

Sorry ...I didn't see the .5 lb of white wheat. You might want to also throw in a pound of 2 row or pilsnerand do a mini mash

There is nothing in your steeping grains that can convert starch. you will have a very sweet beer since all of that starch won't convert to sugar

Confused me with this statement. If it won't convert to sugars then how can it be sweet?

yanked the oats. I am not interested in making it a mini mash. I just wan to stick with a steeping of grains and extract.

Ok so I'm not saying I invented the wheel but this is what I have come up with as a citrusy beer that the woman would like and me to
3lb of wheat DME
1lb of light DME
1lb of wheat flaked
1lb of candy sugar
1/2 lb white wheat

1oz mt hood 60 min
.5oz saaz(usa) 5 min
3tsp sweet orange peel 10 min
3tsp whole coriander 10min

then use a belgian ale yeast. Any thoughts?

I don't know what you kept for steeping graisn, but I don't think 1 lb of flaked wheat can convert, but the white wheat can if you do a partial mash.

Did you really intend 3 teaspoons of coriander? That sure seems like an awful lot to me.

no I had intended 1 teaspoon of coriander. I changed it to 1.5 lb of white wheat for steeping.

Latest posts

Back