Insane idea... digestive enzymes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windaria

Reaction score
OK... I wasn't sure where to post this, as this could apply to cider/mead/beer/wine/whatever, and at the same time I am sure that this idea will sound so stupid/crazy as to be considered a drunken rambling, but I assure you I haven't had a drop yet today... so I figured to post here.

Anyway, what would it be like if you added a digestive enzyme to the brew. For example... something like Absorbaid. I mean, I've heard about adding the pectic enzymes and such, well what about a full-on digestive enzyme?

Would that break things down even more, which may make it even easier for the yeast? Any thoughts?

The amylase would help, but that is exactly what the two-row pale provides. The other components would be of no value (Lipase since there is no fat in the grain), or a bad idea (Protease would break down the proteins and we want them to clump together and fall out) Finally, lactase (assuming it survived the boil) would break down the lactose which we add at great expense to our milk stouts.

The megabrews do use manufactured enzymes to speed up the breakdown of starches from the adjuncts (corn, rice, kitty litter), because they don't use enough malt.

Back