Comments on my nut brown recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsharp

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a Northern English Brown this weekend. I will be doing a full-boil with a partial mash. I will be using about a 1L starter. Could I please get a few comments/suggestions on it? I am trying to make a nice nutty brown that remains fairly true to style. I was mostly curious about opinions on my hops and the use of the toasted malt/crystal malt. My recipe is as follows:

3.3 lbs Amber malt syrup (Muntons)-15 min. late addition
1 lb Amber DME (Muntons)
1.5 lbs Marris Otter
.5 lbs Toasted Maris Otter
.5 lbs Dark Crystal (Simpson's)
.25 lbs Chocolate (Simpson's)

1 oz. E.K. Goldings (60 min)
.5 oz. Fuggles (10 min)

1 tsp Irish Moss (15 mins)
1 tsp yeast nutrient (10 mins)

Wyeast London Ale Yeast (1028 I believe)

That looks pretty nice. Make sure to pitch alot of yeast. I have a 2L starter of 1098 going right now for a NEB I'm brewing this weekend. I like the hops, can't go wrong with fuggle and EKG, IMO!

:mug:

nothing particularly wrong with it, but since you're doing a PM i'd swap the amber extract for pale so you have more control over whats being used. I'd ditch the DME for another 2lbs of MO if you can fit it

nothing particularly wrong with it, but since you're doing a PM i'd swap the amber extract for pale so you have more control over whats being used. I'd ditch the DME for another 2lbs of MO if you can fit it

Thanks for the advice, both of you. I already have all the amber extract on hand now and probably wont be able to get more liquid extract before brew day (my LHBS usually closes before I can make it there after work). I guess I may just have to take that into consideration for next time.

Back