Trappist Ale yeast for a wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimelabguy

Reaction score
This is my first post after lurking here for a while. I currently have a tripel in my primary (7 days) that I brewed with white labs WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast.
My question is this: Any thoughts on reusing the yeast cake for a hefeweizen? I have a couple cans of wheat malt and thought I might give it a try.
Also on a related note: I have some citra hops, any thoughts on dry hopping a hefe with those?

thanks in advance!

Yeah I was thinking it may be close, but I think I may just go with the tripel IPA i was going to make.

This is my first post after lurking here for a while. I currently have a tripel in my primary (7 days) that I brewed with white labs WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast.
My question is this: Any thoughts on reusing the yeast cake for a hefeweizen? I have a couple cans of wheat malt and thought I might give it a try.
Also on a related note: I have some citra hops, any thoughts on dry hopping a hefe with those?

thanks in advance!

I recently used the Yeast cake from a Belgian Ale using WLP500 and put a Hefe on it. It is almost ready to keg and it tastes fantastic. I would say definately go for it. I didn't dry hop. I addded some corriander and orange peel.

@dcp27
It's a tripel with IPA hopping, actually it's the Houblon Chouffe clone from the forums. Man I love that beer!!

@sacdan
Well now that give me something to think about...how does it taste in comparison to a normal hefe? I was thinking of doing the blood orange recipe that's floating around the forum.

It tastes great. It has that Belgian "sour" taste. It's still green, but taetes like a Belgian Wit.

Latest posts

Back