Turbo Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe Yuri used one and was generally un-impressed and diagnosed it a waste oc moo-lah. That's pronounced $

How many clams are they asking for the Turbo Tap?

Is there any difference vs a regular tap or is this for the lazy
person that does not have the hand eye ability to tilt the glass
at the start of the pour? Maybe it works for those that may have
had a few too many hence less foam and spillage?

I assume you will have to jack up your serving pressure to make the beer come out that fast. With several beers on tap, I could see me over-carbing rather quickly.

I heard them talk about this on Craft Brewer radio. Its basically for stupid bartenders who are trying to shove out as much BMC as they can. Its perfect for serving BMC since it shoots out beer extremely fast with minimal foam.

I could see that working really well at sporting venues/concert spots, etc.

Either way I get the idea of it, and I think it's a great idea for pumping out excessive amounts of beer in a truncated timetable.

The design is for really high volume. It pours a pint in 4-5 seconds and the low foaming means more pints per keg.

I've had my share of short pints, with 13-14 ounces of beer and the rest foam. If laws against short pours become common, this or some other low-foam technology will become the standard.

I assume you will have to jack up your serving pressure to make the beer come out that fast. With several beers on tap, I could see me over-carbing rather quickly.

I believe you just use a larger diameter beer line so there is less resistance.

I actually have one laying around that a guy on ebay threw in with my tap handle order. It doesn't fit on my Perlick taps so I haven't tried using it.

The first time I saw reference to the TurboTap, I was at college ('97?). The guy who designed it entered it into a student invention competition at the University of Wisconsin; he was an engineering student there who graduated from my high school a year ahead. The idea is that it's designed for the beer to flow out as smoothly as possible so that yes, you can pour faster and yes, make less foam in your BMC. He was leasing them to stadiums, etc. for $100/tap/yr. It looks like they're for sale through Micromatic (but I didn't look at their site). One link I just found says you have to buy a whole kit (probably for mucho bucks) because they won't let anyone use their tap with sub-standard infrastructure. (Read: we're selling you marked-up hoses and fittings too.)

It looks like these Glacier Technology people are marketing it for him. The website for his company is TurboTap - Pour Faster, Better Beer

Dude must be doing well with his beer taps, because each year he sponsors a $10k prize in the student invention fair that he won back in the day.

Back