Water for the blow-off hose...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q2XL

Reaction score
I am just curious as to why the water that is in the blow-off hose bucket needs to be sanitized. Not a big deal for me to do it, I was just wondering.

Is it because the beer will not start to ferment for a number of hours and it is best to keep the end of the hose sanitized as there isn't any co2 coming through the hose. Also, does this water ever need to be changed? It seems to me that the answer would be no, but I will find out from the people that know.

I found that when you use water, krausen fills into it and it blows over the catch vessle,if you use sanitizer it prevents that from happening,

Since Iodophore only is effective for an hour or two, should I put a couple of drops of Iodophore into the bucket every few hours while there is heavy fermentation?

Frankly, there is little chance that you could suck liquid back into the primary if you set up the blow-off tube just right. Using a larger diameter hose will mean that the weight of the water inside would be much more than the force of the vacuum caused by a temperature change could ever lift.

If you use a small diameter hose, then yeah, maybe, but only under the right rare conditions. I've used starsan for blow-off since I started using it for sanitizing, because I always have plenty available after the brewing session.

I have a bottle of what has got to be the worst tasting vodka in the world, just for airlocks. It wasn't purchased for that reason, but after the first sip I realized that it clearly is not fit for human consumption.

Unless you're already really drunk, then anything is fair game. I think I even drank a Watermelon Smirnoff Ice once. :drunk:

Although most people use water, sanitizer, or liquor at the outlet end of a blow off tube, Pasteur demonstrated that you don't need anything (other than a bucket to catch the mess) providing the path from the end of the tube to the fermenter travels uphill. Very simply, dust and bacteria cannot climb. See Louis Pasteur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (germ theory)

-a.

Latest posts

Back