Wooden Beer Case Plans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinmanDan

Reaction score
Hey guys --

Does anyone have plans for a good wooden beer case? I recently attended a party where I supplied a generous amount of my own beer, but when I lifted up one of the cardboard cases, the bottom fell out of it, and I lost a few bottles of brew to the forces of gravity and the hard concrete floor (man down!!).

I'd like to build some cases, but I haven't found any good plans...can anyone help me out?

no plans for wood but look into file folder cases from staples or walmart iv'e got 6 or so and they hold a case easily(actually they'll hold 30 bottles without dividers)

I would imagine that someone in the Chicago area is selling massive quantities of used milk crates. They will last longer than wood and could hold a lot.

Craigs List Link: Milk Crates $1 In the Crown Point area(??) not sure if this is near.

On your side here, I think a set of oak crates stained with red oak stain and sealed with matte finish poly would look great! Expensive, but great!! :D

Check this case out, maybe it'll help.

beercrate1.jpg

beercrate3.jpg

I read recently that the milk industry is shifting to a new jug design that elliminates the need for crates entirely, so I imagine they will become very easy to come by soon.

Hey guys --

Does anyone have plans for a good wooden beer case? I recently attended a party where I supplied a generous amount of my own beer, but when I lifted up one of the cardboard cases, the bottom fell out of it, and I lost a few bottles of brew to the forces of gravity and the hard concrete floor (man down!!).

I'd like to build some cases, but I haven't found any good plans...can anyone help me out?

I have a measured drawing for exactly what you want, but you'll need Google Sketchup to open it. The app is free and great for designing brewing gadgets/systems.

Download Sketchup here: http://sketchup.google.com/download/

Download my beer crate drawing here: http://www.smartguypress.com/beer%20crate.skp

3/8" birch plywood is fairly cheap, works great and will last forever with a few coats of spar varnish. Use 1/8" tempered hardboard for the bottom and dividers. The bottom is held in with a 1/8" dado (just use a standard tablesaw blade).

The corners are up to you, but box joints are the strongest.

Michael

Wooden Coke Box

One of these immediately came to mind. My uncle has a couple mounted on his wall that he uses for his matchbox cars. An original would probably be too expensive for practical use, but the dimensions should be right.

Got to thinking this one over....I love the design and idea of a wooden beer case. I have an old barn out here (built in the early 1900's) that's coming down. I've used one slat of wood for a pic frame and discovered that while the outside of the plank was weathered, the inside was still solid as a rock. Bet that would look nice, the old weathered outside with a nice deep color on the inside. Check out some barn wood, ya'll if you're going for a rustic/ole timey/yet usable look.

Sgt. Major

A full-height case stacks better, and can have a top that slides into slots if one side is low and the other three are slotted.

Wooden cases have the advantage of being able to be custom-made to suit your bottles - milk crates don't fit quite right, so space on the shelf ends up wasted, though they certainly are sturdy and all.

Hi, I'm new here. I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I was looking for some plans like those mentioned here. After a lot of searching, I just designed my own. Remembering this thread, I figured I'd share the rough sketch I made in case anyone else is looking.

bmbox12 is a wood worker that sells custom wooden boxes for beer bottle carrying. I think he also can get the boxes laser etched with logos or what have you. You can find some of his work in the vendor section.

Back