The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What the hell is BMC, it must be some really */'\÷"&#"%# stuff to justify all this argument.

Personally, I am trying homebrew for the joy of experimentation and to see if I can please myself.... particularly since I am an old married guy. Ha ha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Home Brew mobile app

BMC = Bud, Miller , Coors

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Home Brew mobile app

I did a year in Iraq and on numerous occasions I would have paid $20 for either one of BMC!
It's all relative.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Home Brew mobile app

Going on 9 months now every time I see a person that asked for some of a blonde ale i made, "thanks so much for the beer, we haven't tried it yet"

The guys I work with are harassing me all the time to try my beer.

So this Christmas I made a Cranberry Porter and whipped up some nice tags and tied them to the bottles. It all looks very nice, and has a little blurb on the back explaining what's inside, how to pour it, and "please rinse the bottle and return to me".

I gave them all a bottle on December 20, and told them it would be great on a cold Christmas night and to please let me know what they thought. Came back to work on Jan. 6 and asked how they liked it.

"I haven't tried it yet." was one response.
Another guy said nothing.
Another guy still had his sitting on his desk.

At least I don't have to give away more beer.

I truly believe that they brewers at AB-Inbev and Miller-Coors are some of the most talented brewers in the world.

And their executives are some of the shrewdest businessmen around. I own stock in AB-INbev, actually, and it's been quite profitable for me. I even enjoy the occassional Stella Artois, in fact. Why would/should I "despise" this company?

Ironically enough, taking off is the easiest phase of flight (though most dangerous)

Taking off is neither the easiest nor most dangerous phase of flight.

Cruise is the easiest.

Landing is the most dangerous.

and airliners are very often auto-landed using Category III Instrument Landing System.

Define "often." In order to perform a Cat III landing, 3 factors have to be in place:

• The airport must be Cat III ILS capable and that has been certified within the regulated timeframe
  • The aircraft must possess a Cat III capable ILS that has been certified within the regulated timeframe
  • The pilot must have a Cat III ILS landing rating on his license, and meet currency requirements

Although it's 2014, Cat III ILS is still pretty sparse, and it's in place at only the largest airports.

My wife after tasting my Scottish export 80 shilling "that's good tastes like soy sauce" well she is Asian

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

Taking off is neither the easiest nor most dangerous phase of flight.

Cruise is the easiest.

Landing is the most dangerous.

Takeoff is nothing more than point the noise, apply full power, apply rudder, pull at Vr and maintain positive rate.

I was ALWAYS fighting sleep during cruise.

Define "often." In order to perform a Cat III landing, 3 factors have to be in place:

• The airport must be Cat III ILS capable and that has been certified within the regulated timeframe
  • The aircraft must possess a Cat III capable ILS that has been certified within the regulated timeframe
  • The pilot must have a Cat III ILS landing rating on his license, and meet currency requirements

Although it's 2014, Cat III ILS is still pretty sparse, and it's in place at only the largest airports.

Often as in "more often than people who are not pilots have a clue about".

Less often than those in-the-know would like. :p

The big guys don't change any thing significant. I wonder what skill they do have since they have been on auto pilot for so long. Can you imagine having that job?

"Here you are the head brewer, but don't change an effing thing."

It's like being a pilot, all you do is sit in the cockpit and let the auto pilot do everything. The only thing is you never land or take off.
Never been there, never done it. But considering that beer is made from plants, that are affected by everything from the weather to how close together they're planted and how the harvest is handled and stored, I somehow doubt those guys are running on auto pilot. They're handling variable natural ingredients, and coming out with a consistent product anyway.

There are better beers out there, for sure. But I still grab a pack of Bud now and then, and enjoy it for what it is. I've never looked down my nose at a hamburger because it isn't a ribeye steak, either....

Never been there, never done it. But considering that beer is made from plants, that are affected by everything from the weather to how close together they're planted and how the harvest is handled and stored, I somehow doubt those guys are running on auto pilot. They're handling variable natural ingredients, and coming out with a consistent product anyway.

There are better beers out there, for sure. But I still grab a pack of Bud now and then, and enjoy it for what it is. I've never looked down my nose at a hamburger because it isn't a ribeye steak, either....

My original statement is a sarcastic over generalization.

I think they have extreme buying power leverage with their suppliers of grain and hops. They dictate what they want from them or go elsewhere. Meaning they probably place specific and stringent requirements on the grain and hops. They probably own the agricultural rights to large portion of land used to grow what they need. They probably control what gets grown on a large portion of what they don't own via contracts.

As a point of reference, I work for the largest heavy equipment manufacturer in the US, but in an engineering/purchasing role. We do this to our supply base. We even have our own grades of steel. And say fark industry standards when it comes to steel. We tell the steel mills to make our own steel chemistry and alloy grades. We also buy mill quantity amounts of steel domestically and internationally. We also buy 98% material coming out of large forgers and foundries. Just short of outright owning them. That said we take the back seat if the railroads are involved. We stay out of their sand box and try to buy elsewhere.

At the end of the day the BMC guys have people in place to buy what exactly they need to make the brewing business very cost efficient. Driving consistency would start with the ingredients. I imagine the big guys make their own water and harvest their yeast. They wouldn't leave those two to chance.

Not to beat a dead horse but I would not doubt that BMC uses genetically modified grains and special hop oils to gain efficiencies in brewing. The kind of money and resources they have, I'd be shocked if they didn't do this.

Not to beat a dead horse but I would not doubt that BMC uses genetically modified grains and special hop oils to gain efficiencies in brewing.

GMO corn, yes, likely herbicide-tolerant strains. No GMO barley's are currently approved for use outside of test plots.

Bryan

Had a customer stop into our taproom last weekend and while watching our bartender pour our Classic American Pils stated that he could tell just by looking that the beer was unbalanced....

GMO corn, yes, likely herbicide-tolerant strains. No GMO barley's are currently approved for use outside of test plots.

Bryan

I don't doubt they'd use them if available.

I personally have no issues with GMO, but many do.

Had a customer stop into our taproom last weekend and while watching our bartender pour our Classic American Pils stated that he could tell just by looking that the beer was unbalanced....

Huh. :confused:

???

Wow. Not only is that an indescribably stupid thing for him to say, but to say it at a brewery's taproom? Where the guys who make the beer are? What a horse's @ss.

that's some funny stuff right there. if I was you, I'd put up a sign stating that Stupid Comments Encourages a Swift Beating With a Mash Paddle.:rockin:

Please please please tell me that he wasn't allowed to partake then? I would have gotten Soup Nazi on his ass.

"NO BEER FOR YOU!"

???

Wow. Not only is that an indescribably stupid thing for him to say, but to say it at a brewery's taproom? Where the guys who make the beer are? What a horse's @ss.

Maybe the doofus watching was unbalanced. Imagine he just learned what that meant.

Or

He slept at Holiday Inn Express the night before.

Back