Who is this Jamil character?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have a listen

or read the book...

classicstylesFULL.jpg

google is useful too ;)

That's awesome.

Seriously, listen to his podcasts. Every single one of them. I'm dead serious, it will be the one of the absolute best things you will ever do to improve your brewing. Of all the things I'm thankful for with homebrewing (other than starting in the first place), HBT is #1 and the Jamil Show is #2.

the_bird said:
Seriously, listen to his podcasts. Every single one of them. I'm dead serious, it will be the one of the absolute best things you will ever do to improve your brewing. Of all the things I'm thankful for with homebrewing (other than starting in the first place), HBT is #1 and the Jamil Show is #2.

100% agree with this. I listen to podcast to/from work. I have gone through most of his shows. Might also listen to the episodes of The Sunday Session where he is the guest (way back, before his show started).

Don't feel bad Ó Flannagáin, I've been brewing for almost 16 years and had never heard of Jamil prior to this year's AHA Conference in Denver.

Don't feel bad it took me forever to figure out who the hell he was, thought he was a urban legend for a while.

brewt00l said:
Don't forget, Ninkasi winner too.
Maybe only once..
Sierra Nevada Homebrewer of the Year twice.

FYI: The Ninkasi Award is named for the Sumerian Goddess of Beer and is given to the winningest brewer in the second round of the national homebrew competition.

here is a link to Jamil's home page:
http://www.mrmalty.com/ (there is a link at the very bottom to his bio. it'll tell you way more than you wanted to know)

and another with recipies and a list of his awards.
http://beerdujour.com/JamilsRecipes.htm

the_bird said:
... listen to his podcasts. Every single one of them. I'm dead serious, it will be the one of the absolute best things you will ever do to improve your brewing. Of all the things I'm thankful for with homebrewing (other than starting in the first place), HBT is #1 and the Jamil Show is #2.
+1000

Not only is he a HUGE wealth of information, he comes across as being a terrific guy. Over at thebrewingnetwork.com they refer to him as "Pope Jamil" and if you listen to a few of his shows you'll know exactly why. Become a disciple!

Yeah.. SO WHAT if I have a man crush. :mug:

ws

Yes, the podcasts are great.

Only thing I do NOT agree with him is on fining beer.

I tried his way, and it's clear, but not brilliant, and it has a slight off taste. I fermented at 64 F for 2 weeks, then crashed to 34 F for a week.

It tastes like I didn't fine the beer.

Next time, 10 days ferment, then gelatin for 7-10 days, then to the keg.

I've read too much professional info on how important fining beer is to not do it.

Great brewer. I totally geeked when I shook his hand at the GABF. I got him to sign my book, "To the best brewer I know" lol.

Brewer3401 said:
Yes, the podcasts are great.

Only thing I do NOT agree with him is on fining beer.

I tried his way, and it's clear, but not brilliant, and it has a slight off taste. I fermented at 64 F for 2 weeks, then crashed to 34 F for a week.

It tastes like I didn't fine the beer.

Next time, 10 days ferment, then gelatin for 7-10 days, then to the keg.

I've read too much professional info on how important fining beer is to not do it.

I rarely fine my beer. What are the advantages?? :off:

the_bird said:
Shelf life? Like THAT's an issue! :rolleyes:

For me too. Does not usually hang around long enough to stale.

One case in point: I'm doing a 1 decoction German Pils this Sunday. Goint to have it at the high range for OG.
Want this beer for Christmas.
I think having this beer sit for 2 months warrants fining.

Plan to lager for 4 weeks, then clarify (in brite tank) for 2 weeks, then to keg.

BierMuncher said:
It moved me from beer that just tasted great...to beer that also looked like it tasted great.

View attachment 3106

When I fine, it's usually for at least 7 days in the brite tank (with gelatin). That's what I get - super clear beer.

I wonder if Jamil makes mistatements for any reason. I've sent him a couple of email questions, and he replied quickly and the advice sounded good.

knights of Gambrinus said:
...or read the book...

I never knew this book existed until I read about it in the new issue of BYO I got just a couple of days ago. Jamil and Palmer?! I have never purchased a strict 'recipe' book, but I definitely plan to get this one.

Rhoobarb said:
I never knew this book existed until I read about it in the new issue of BYO I got just a couple of days ago. Jamil and Palmer?! I have never purchased a strict 'recipe' book, but I definitely plan to get this one.

If you buy it though the Brewing Network, they were signing them. Not sure if that's still the case or not, though.

EDIT: Yeah, two bucks more ($22 instead of $20), and he'll sign a personalized message. Think he'd sign "Boy, Papazian's a crackhead, ain't he?" :D

Brewer3401 said:
Improved taste and increased shelf life.

Sorry to continue offtopic discussion, but shelf life is an issue for me. I'm saving beer under appropriate storage for years to come. How does fining improve shelf life?

Back