I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy memorial day! Cheers! Just today I was sitting and thinking about how free I feel. Without people like Dan and our other servicemen and women, I wouldn't have these freedoms, my kids wouldn't have these freedoms... Thanks!

I'm back on the farm but spent the day in town. It was eventful, too much to try and get into. A very good day.

Hey Bobbi. Glad you're home and hope all is well. Cheers.

Hi everybody. I made some curtains out of a couple of mylar blankets. I'm using them on a double rod behind my normal curtains. I'm hoping they will help with the heat coming in the windows this summer. Interestingly, if you are on the side that's darker you can see through them.

Beaksnbeer, Thank you for the kind words. I think I'm blushing a bit right now. I think it was your post or, maybe the sip of Scotch I just had.. don't know. :D

Beaks, I think you brought on a rambling...

There are two worlds. Free and NOT Free in my opinion. Not exactly a revelation. What terrifies me is when we as a nation fall so complacent by our easy going life that we forget the sacrifices, devotion and blood spilled by the men and women who had their freedom threatened and fought to give us this very good life that we so easily take for granted.

Parable, maybe? I don't know. But here's something. I am a Navy Chief Petty Officer, yes retired but my underwear is still khaki :mug: Every year on a special day new Chiefs are frocked. We all wear our hard hats in honor and rememberance to the "best day in your life" and then pack them neatly away in a box only to bring out again the following year for the next frocking ceremony.
images

After I became a Chief, I put the hard hat away and wore a Pisscutter which looks something like the next picture but is Khaki!
images

A wise old Master Chief always wore his hard hat, everyday. He said to me Chief! Are you embarrassed to wear your hard hat? I was like no MasterChief, but the pisscutter is more comfortable. Something as simple as that, and I proudly wore the hard hat daily for years.

Raising a flag once a year, remembering the fallen a few times a year, remembering we are AMERICANS! a few times a year is unsatisfactory.

What also bothers me is when within, our leadership basically apologizes for being American. What man or woman in this country who works, pays taxes, raises a family, is part of a community, is proud of our country; has not served this country well? And is not proud to be an American!!!!!

The crap going on within is more terrifying to me than anything a terrorist foreign or domestic can bring on.

I'm generally an easy going person, or use to be. There are people very much more intelligent out there, let them figure it out. BS! I'm an American and my voice needs to be heard! We as Americans have a voice. Let us not forget who we are! BAM!

Beaksnbeer, Thank you for the kind words. I think I'm blushing a bit right now. I think it was your post or, maybe the sip of Scotch I just had.. don't know. :D

There are two worlds. Free and NOT Free in my opinion. Not exactly a revelation. What terrifies me is when we as a nation fall so complacent by our easy going life that we forget the sacrifices, devotion and blood spilled by the men and women who had their freedom threatened and fought to give us this very good life that we so easily take for granted.

Parable, maybe? I don't know. But here's something. I am a Navy Chief Petty Officer, yes retired but my underwear is still khaki :mug: Every year on a special day new Chiefs are frocked. We all wear our hard hats in honor and rememberance to the "best day in your life" and then pack them neatly away in a box only to bring out again the following year for the next frocking ceremony.
After I became a Chief, I put the hard hat away and wore a Pisscutter which looks something like the next picture but is Khaki!

A wise old Master Chief always wore his hard hat, everyday. He said to me Chief! Are you embarrassed to wear your hard hat? I was like no MasterChief, but the pisscutter is more comfortable. Something as simple as that, and I proudly wore the hard hat daily for years.

Raising a flag once a year, remembering the fallen a few times a year, remembering we are AMERICANS! a few times a year is unsatisfactory.

What also bothers me is when within, our leadership basically apologizes for being American. What man or woman in this country who works, pays taxes, raises a family, is part of a community, is proud of our country; has not served this country well? And is not proud to be an American!!!!!

The crap going on within is more terrifying to me than anything a terrorist foreign or domestic can bring on.

I'm generally an easy going person, or use to be. There are people very much more intelligent out there, let them figure it out. BS! I'm an American and my voice needs to be heard! We as Americans have a voice. Let us not forget who we are! BAM!
That reminds me of why the phrase, "With great power comes great responsibility" annoys me. Not because it isn't true, but because it's usually said by someone who has chosen to blindly follow so they can try to pass the responsibility on.

Point blank, you can't give up your right to choose. That means that you are responsible for everything you do, no matter if somebody else told you to or not. Choosing to obey, or do nothing, is still a choice and has a real of a cost as action.

I know that isn't particularly clear, and I'm not criticizing or trying to start a debate. I'm actually agreeing with you.

Happy memorial day! Cheers! Just today I was sitting and thinking about how free I feel. Without people like Dan and our other servicemen and women, I wouldn't have these freedoms, my kids wouldn't have these freedoms... Thanks!

I'm back on the farm but spent the day in town. It was eventful, too much to try and get into. A very good day.

Time to get something straight, Sis. If not for wonderful people like you, all across this country. The USA would not be a great place. Our military protects this. That's all, yes some sacrifice but in the end what is protected is a way of life we as citizens of the USA hold dear.

Thank you for remembering me and my brothers and sisters but it is not us that make this USA a wonderful place. It is however, the men and women and families who work hard each day and bring love to a home here in this land.

In all fairness, we are a superpower country. We didn't get there being a bunch of pu$$ies. Civilian or Military. AMERICANs, do not tolerate mediocrity and have established our despise of tyranny, in whatever form. Those that want to make us accept that, foreign or domestic will lose. Unless our determination is broken. That is a concept we must never forget and always endear.

I truly wish sometimes that sports teams were not so much an outlet for the American fighting spirit and that true competitiveness was more spent towards fighting for our USA.

There is no reason to apologize for being an AMERICAN. No way!

Time to get something straight, Sis. If not for wonderful people like you, all across this country. The USA would not be a great place. Our military protects this. That's all, yes some sacrifice but in the end what is protected is a way of life we as citizens of the USA hold dear.

Thank you for remembering me and my brothers and sisters but it is not us that make this USA a wonderful place. It is however, the men and women and families who work hard each day and bring love to a home here in this land.

In all fairness, we are a superpower country. We didn't get there being a bunch of pu$$ies. Civilian or Military. AMERICANs, do not tolerate mediocrity and have established our despise of tyranny, in whatever form. Those that want to make us accept that, foreign or domestic will lose. Unless our determination is broken. That is a concept we must never forget and always endear.

I truly wish sometimes that sports teams were not so much an outlet for the American fighting spirit and that true competitiveness was more spent towards fighting for our USA.

I don't want a POTUS who subjects us to cowardice and apologies for who we are.

Well said Dan!

I'd like to speak out for my Construction worker brethren for a moment. We aren't fighting wars or protecting lives, but we do build this country. People seem to always tend to belittle, degrade, and blatantly disrespect us for being "lowly construction workers", but if not for people like us along with other blue collar workers these people wouldn't even have a roof over their heads. Much less all of the excessive luxuries that aren't really necessary in life!

End rant..

Sorry for getting overly righteous. I have a good beer buzz, and sometimes it gets a little frustrating working for pretentious people that have more money than brains.

Stauffbier said:
Well said Dan!

I'd like to speak out for my Construction worker brethren for a moment. We aren't fighting wars or protecting lives, but we do build this country. People seem to always tend to belittle, degrade, and blatantly disrespect us for being "lowly construction workers", but if not for people like us along with other blue collar workers these people wouldn't even have a roof over their heads. Much less all of the excessive luxuries that aren't really necessary in life!

End rant..

Not me man. I've got big respect for all the blue collars. Machining metal has always been a simple trade, though it's getting pretty fancy lately. But I'll tell you one thing, I wouldn't have anything to machine if it wasn't for those TRUCKERS. Can I get a holler for all the truckers this beautiful weekend?

Stauffbier said:
Sorry for getting overly righteous. I have a good beer buzz, and sometimes it gets a little frustrating working for pretentious people that have more money than brains.

I've got a great beer buzz! Screw those rich guys

Well said Dan!

End rant..

You have nothing to apologize for my friend. Your words are spoken by a man who cares about this country. I hope you inspired more to do the same. I'm personally sick and tired of being status quo.

I

Not me man. I've got big respect for all the blue collars. Machining metal has always been a simple trade, though it's getting pretty fancy lately. But I'll tell you one thing, I wouldn't have anything to machine if it wasn't for those TRUCKERS. Can I get a holler for all the truckers this beautiful weekend?

Last edited by a moderator:
A more appropriate song for Memorial Day I cannot envision:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFCekeoSTwg

Thanks to all who have served, fought, and suffered in war. Anywhere.

TC, just want to let you know, whether you want to hear it or not. That Rendition of Waltzing Matilda, the background story. Maybe brought out a few tears in my eyes.

I think it's an endeared Aussie song. Might have been played at my wedding in Perth, don't know, many years ago. But I have always loved that song.

I was married to a girl from Perth, 12 years. Ended. Not exactly happily. But I don't talk bad about their mom. At one time we loved each other. Our failure, divorce. We brought three kids into this world. They all live in the USA now but are half Australian. In some ways that's cool.. not the divorce part but the Aussie blood in their veins. Each one of them is a great kid.

Wish, truly, their mom and I were still a happily married couple. Didn't work out for our own selfish, idiotic reasons. Our kids, youngest daughter 19, middle daughter 23 and oldest son 24. If there are two things I did in there lives these are it. 1. Dont be like me, my weakness 2. Be a lot like me, the good parts.

Quite a lot of words just to post song you made me remember. But I do thank you. (He says rambling soon into the song... his rambling and mine are probably not the same)

Last edited by a moderator:
lschiavo said:
Hi! Post a hot chick music video and you're in.

Lol I can try. Playing guitar hero ATm and I suck. Give me a Xbox or ps3 controller and a shooting game. I'm awesome. But I can not keep time for any thing.

Btw happy Memorial Day weekend every buddy. If you have served for your country thank you so very much. You are a cut above the rest

I guess everybody has gone to bed or are offline right now.

This, reminds me of the words my mom once said back when my parents' lived in town.
We tuck the in the neighborhood each night.

Dad, worked 9-5 as a practicing Chiropractor. Well, that sounds good but he really worked those hours but also made house calls after hours, weekends and stuff like that.

Christmas time ... I'm remembering back. His patients, who loved and trusted him, always brought a variety of treats during the Holidays.

My dad, was a healer, Chiropractor as is my brother, my uncle, and two cousins. I'll make a bold statement and say FU if you thinks that profession is bogus. Because, It is not!

MY mom and dad passed away. Mom, January 2000, Dad 2002. I miss them so much. Both in their early sixties.

There is nothing that makes sense of that.

I didn't post this to get sympathy.. I'm just rambling. But, I will lecture for a moment and hopefully tug on heartstings with what I am about to say

I'm 49. I rememeber when my folks were that age. Dad was at a high point in his career. Their children were old enough to move on their own money for college. All the effort they spent on raising four kids was going well.

Dan I honestly think this world is bs. The professions that help ppl are so under paid and disrespected its pathetic.

Seems so hard to celebrate Memorial Day weekend. Honestly before last year it was a celebration of the coming of summer. Then a year ago I lost a family member, an outstanding marine, and someone I looked up to. Shot in the back by the people he went to help. Sorry for the ramble. Thanks to those who gave their lives for us to live in relative safety and freedom.

Seems so hard to celebrate Memorial Day weekend. Honestly before last year it was a celebration of the coming of summer. Then a year ago I lost a family member, an outstanding marine, and someone I looked up to. Shot in the back by the people he went to help. Sorry for the ramble. Thanks to those who gave their lives for us to live in relative safety and freedom.

It's Memorial Day. A day set aside to honor/remember those who have gone before and given EVERTHING to protect the values/ideas that most in this country hold dear. The parades give veterans a chance to walk proud and live for friends and comrades in arms who could not. The only thing that should be celebrated is the freedom this loss has provided.

My deepest sympathy for your families loss I shall offer a prayer,shed tears, and raise a glass for yet another fallen but not forgotten Hero.

I'm sorry for your loss, truly. Your family member was a MARINE, and gave his life for us, so we could live freely, without terrorism. This weekend, celebrate his life! More than ever. The loss of loved ones is not easy, especially our young ones. If it helps at all, know that your family member did not die in vain. His life made a difference. He made the ultimate sacrifice for us doing something he believed in! Time to celebrate his life!

Dan I honestly think this world is bs. The professions that help ppl are so under paid and disrespected its pathetic.

There are people in this world who take and those that give. Honestly I suppose most all of us are a combination of the two. Those that give more than take by virtue of their proffesion and are not well compensated, they are good souls, and probably do it out of goodness, not for the money. But I agree they should be paid well for their dedication and caring.

Bottlebomber, Dan... Thanks for sympathizing with me and my first world complaints and drunken ramblings. The truth is that the larger majority of my clients are very appreciative, and they treat my employees and myself very respectably. Every once in a while we get one that doesn't. I guess that was stuck in my head last night. I obviously love my job, or I wouldn't have stuck with it for 24 years. Also, I do tend to believe that the poor and meek shall inherit the earth, so I'm ok with not being rich.

Vegan, it's good to see you here in this thread. I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope you can find the ability to celebrate the life and achievements of your fallen family member this weekend.

Cheers friends!

Gonna use this weekend to remember and celebrate the lives of the members of 2/7 we lost five years ago. Wow its been that long and it amazes me seems like its still last year I was over there.

I used to have a stereo that took up a lot of space.. He!!. Stereo stands were big back then. It had had a bunch of big gigantic speakers. The bigger the better!

Must have spent around five grand for everything. I was young and had the money. Plus at the time was stationed in Yokosuka, Japan. On the Navy base there was a huge electronics store known as Warehouse A3. Keep in mind, this was in the 80s. CD's hadn't even become popular yet. Had a Teac Reel to Reel, Nakamichi Dragon Cassette recorder/player (1,000 buck machine) Bose 901 Speakers, I forget the name of the turn table but it was also high dollar. Tuner, amp, and preamp all individual units. Forget the power of the amp but pretty sure it was around 200 watts and clean.

My system looked something like this
Demo_System_Office_2_web.jpg

and this

images

Fast forward a few decades.. Now, this is my Hi-Fi Stereo in all of it's glory.

The only thing that stayed the same is Bose speakers. Much smaller than the ones I had before. Crapy pic. The cell phone is not the one I play music on, just put an old one in the picture because I was using my iPhone to take the picture.. I'm spoiled, spoiled and spoiled. :D

stereo-59961.jpg

images

images

Beautiful, just had fil (a navy vet.) read that, he worked in the boiler room on board. His shipmates get together for reunions every year or so.

Thank you, for your service.

Daryl

I'd like to ask a question. A question that I seem to have heard the answer to but really don't know.

Is the Pledge of Allegiance still said each morning in USA schools?

I'm drunk. Straight up.

My poison is not Homebrew... it's Scotch, Glenlivet if you must know.

Think I've been the only person posting recently. Everybody else has a life. I respect that.

So while I'm in this state of inebriation, I'm going to post some stuff. It might not be popular or politically correct.. I really don't care about that.

I'm Caucasian, probably not surprising. Nearly 30 years I served in the military and that does not make me better than you.

Race, creed, color make no difference in my world. The men and women I remember serving with, are AMEIRCANs. Period!!

I could go on and on. Not going to for now.

Dan's drunken thoughts.

Peace!

I'm drunk. Straight up.

My poison is not Homebrew... it's Scotch, Glenlivet if you must know.

Think I've been the only person posting recently. Everybody else has a life. I respect that.

So while I'm in this state of inebriation, I'm going to post some stuff. It might not be popular or politically correct.. I really don't care about that.

I'm Caucasian, probably not surprising. Nearly 30 years I served in the military and that does not make me better than you. Service, race, creed, color make no difference. The men and women I remember serving with, regardless of their race, were men and women I respected and loved.

I don't know why we as AMEIRCANs can not embellish that.

I could go on and on. Not going to for now.

Dan's drunken thoughts.

Peace!

Cheers Dan,

I'd rather we embrace your thought rather than embellish it, but I'll raise my glass to get togetherness.

I'm into a keg of Belgium 3x. My friends think its amazing. I don't like it. I can't describe the flavor well. Apparentently its spot on. All I know is I'm hammered after 3 pints, and sadly, for my liver, 3 pints is a snack. I also can't find a love for sours. Give me a nice dry brew any day.

LRB. I need to take a trip south and get drunk with you. It's not out of the question. Were pretty close distance wise... among the stars.. It's a couple hour drive bro.

Did I mention, I'm a bit boozed up on Glenlivet? :D

Sometimes, I feel like if I acknowledge directly, the people on this site, it will ruin things. Superstitious BS probably. But I'm a superstitious fool.

I need to overcome that weakness because there are many of you here I'd sure like to sit with and drink a brew. Share a moment

Back