Just got BeerSmith Lite on my Android!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got it myself. My recipes downloaded from the BS website and are displayed in a manner that may be helpful on brewing day. Most interested in the bew timer. Waiting until the weekend to play with it more to explore all of its features.

I did a brew with it Tuesday and overall its nice. The cloud integration coupled with a brew timer is well worth the $4(?). I did notice a discrepancy on sparge water volumes compared to the hard copy printed from 2.0 but I never refer to that volume anyway.

Also need to look at settings for the timer because I missed an addition because I didn't hear the tone. I'd prefer an alarm clock type function where it keeps going off until its manually shut off.

Is this a newly developed app? I wish they would have followed the android developer's guide and used the standard Holo theme. It is kind of ugly as is... still, it may be enough for me to finally give beersmith a test run. I've been considering it for a while now.

I have tried it on 2 brew days and find each one of the days the app will reload if you have left it unattended for a period of time or gone into other apps. I haven't been able to figure out if the timers continue if you don't reenter the app but still is flawed from a development standpoint. I should be able to do whatever I want on my phone (sans rebooting it) and be able to pick up right where I was on the app.

**update** since the android update last week the app is now working as promised and could not be more pleased.**

I seem to be the only one that us extremely disappointed with this app. It feels and performs like an IPhone port, which just doesn't work on android at all. I only tinkered with it for 15 minutes before I was forced to refund due to poor performance. I felt the lack of tools (I didn't see a yeast starter calculator, not that the one in the full computer program is that good anyways, no step ups), and no recipe creation ability. Beersmith is a damn fine program so I set my hopes high but for 4 dollars I at least want the ability to scroll without it lagging like crazy.

So far I like the app and am looking forward to the full version. One thing I'd like to see is for the numbers keyboard to automatically come up when I'm using the tools. Right now mine comes up with the normal letters keyboard and I have to keep switching to the numbers.

Back