Guiness bottles with the widget

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fudd

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has tried this. I made a stout recently and bottled it in those guiness bottles with the widget inside, hoping for the same creamy foam. While it was bottling I found out it is nitrogen and not just the widget that does it. Here is the strange thing: All the beers in regular bottles are normal stout and open fine, all the guiness bottles however foam over like crazy when you open them, and It seems that the initial foamover is the creamy guiness foam...is it possible that some nitrogen gets trapped in the widget somehow?I mean you could argue that maybe when a stout foams over, the head looks creamier but then why do only the guiness bottles explode like this? Has anyone else experienced this?

Did you take the widgets out and clean and sanitize them before putting them back in the clean and sanitized bottles?

Quote: Did you take the widgets out and clean and sanitize them before putting them back in the clean and sanitized bottles?

Have you seen these before? the only way you could get them out would be to smash the bottle, so no. The thing is I was trying to get guiness foam, so if I could just get the whole thing into a glass that would be great.

Never tried this. I suspect what is happening is the widget is filling with stout and when you open the bottle, it foams out through the little "creamy foam making" hole. Since it only has a small amount of CO2 in it, you only get a little creme.

In production, the widget gets a shot of liquid nitrogen. It's not likely than any is left.

Some forms of infection produce creamy foam & I think it would be really tough to sanitize an widget short of a pressure cooker.

Fudd said:
Have you seen these before? the only way you could get them out would be to smash the bottle, so no. The thing is I was trying to get guiness foam, so if I could just get the whole thing into a glass that would be great.
Yes, I have 5 bottles sitting in the fridge. The widgets come out quite easily with a pair of needlenose.

Unless you are talking about a different system widgets are filled with nitrogen and release it when the bottle is opened. They are not reusable.

May be it just causing a disturbance in the beer on rekease and having the same effect as a beer that is poured too fast

orfy said:
Unless you are talking about a different system widgets are filled with nitrogen and release it when the bottle is opened. They are not reusable.

May be it just causing a disturbance in the beer on rekease and having the same effect as a beer that is poured too fast
Actually, the widgets are not filled with nitrogen. They are placed into the bottle empty, the bottle is filled, then a drop of liquid nitrogen is placed into the bottle and it is immediately sealed.

As the liquid nitrogen begins to boil off, the pressure in the bottle forces beer into the widget. When you pop the top, the pressure is released and the beer is forced out of the tiny little holes in the widget, resulting in the ensuing fine creamy head.

So yes, the widget does cause the effect, and yes, liquid nitrogen is involved, but the widget does not contain the nitrogen.

bikebryan said:
Actually, the widgets are not filled with nitrogen. They are placed into the bottle empty, the bottle is filled, then a drop of liquid nitrogen is placed into the bottle and it is immediately sealed.

As the liquid nitrogen begins to boil off, the pressure in the bottle forces beer into the widget. When you pop the top, the pressure is released and the beer is forced out of the tiny little holes in the widget, resulting in the ensuing fine creamy head.

So yes, the widget does cause the effect, and yes, liquid nitrogen is involved, but the widget does not contain the nitrogen.

I know I'm bringing back an old thread here, but....

if the description of the widget that bikebryan gave is correct, then can't the widgets be re-used, even if you don't have liquid nitrogen available?

I mean.... the pressure build up from the CO2 generated during bottle conditioning should be able to produce the same effect; forcing beer into the empty widget.

-walker

re-read the description of the widget's functionality. the nitrogen is only there to provide the pressure to push the beer into the widget. the beer escaping thw widget creates the tiny bubbles, and not the gas. The gas used to push beer into the widget is irrelevant.

-walker

yeah.. i suppose it would get into the beer.

still... it might be interesting to TRY re-using the widget, just to see if it makes any noticable difference. Too bad my stout is already bottled.

-walker

It would be interesting...I've got my primary full of the chocolate jitters from byo a few months ago. I've got plenty of time to liberate some Guiness bottles and conduct the experiment, as long as I can find my damn needlenose pliars which are perpetually lost.

wait... don't the tall cans of Guinness also have the widget in them? cutting those open would be a lot safer than smashing a bunch of bottles.

-walker

As long as they come out easily with a pair of needlenose I wouldn't mind having the extra bottles. The last time I saw the pliars was when I installed a new light in the dining room, so I'll start looking there and work my way towards the fridge.

Yes-- but the last one I pulled out of a can was big enough that you'd be hard pressed to get it into a growler neck, much less a bottle.

BeeGee said:
As long as they come out easily with a pair of needlenose I wouldn't mind having the extra bottles. The last time I saw the pliars was when I installed a new light in the dining room, so I'll start looking there and work my way towards the fridge.

if you've got kids, check the toybox. I was missing a full set of alan wrenches and a vice grip after putting together a bed in our Guest Room the weekend before T-day.

they turned up in my son's 'toolbox' 4 days later.

-walker

hmmm....

Interesting. I still think it would work if re-used, though, albeit probably not as good as the orginal. The nitrogen inside the widget is gaseous and not liquid, and it's purpose is to be compressed during conditioning by incoming beer and later force this beer back out through the small hole.

They could have also filed the thing with helium... or any other gas (like air.) The probably chose nitrogen since it's not easily absorbed by the beer.

I'm willing to try it on my next stout batch if someone doesn't beat me to it.

-walker

I'm lagging a few posts here.

I'm pretty much convinced these things could be re-used. the only issue I can see is with getting the boogers cleaned properly.

-walker

BeeGee said:
If you successfully extract them, a good boil and dip in sanitizer should do it, I would think.

how big is the hole in these things anyway? If the widget was filled with beer at some point, there will still be beer inside of it. You would have to make sure it got filled up with sanitizer for the inside to be sanitary..... right? :confused:

I'm picturing a pin-hole sized opening.... hard to get anything in there aside from submerging it and pressurizing. :)

-walker

It'd be good if it works but It all sounds like a lot of hassle to me.
Can't you just keg and use nitrogen?

It does give a creamier head. I guess if you wanted it bottled you could keg, pressurise cool then bottle.

i missed the fact that you said to BOIL them. that would kill anything inside for certain. Man... I'm all jazzed up to try this now!

I beg of you, BeeGee... try it with at least a couple bottles of your stout and post the results in this thread.

-walker

orfy said:

well.. then I'd have to go and buy all the gear I need for kegging, plus a tank of nitrogen. Re-using a widget is less of hastle for me (and a hell of a lot cheaper.)

I don't really see the hastle though. Obtain widget, clean widget, insert widget into bottle, add beer, cap.

:D

-walker

orfy said:

It does give a creamier head. I guess if you wanted it bottled you could keg, pressurise cool then bottle.
Well, I've got a corny, but nothing else. I probably won't part with those bones until I give a Christmas present to myself. Plus, Walker's begging!

BeeGee said:
Plus, Walker's begging!

yes, and it isn't pretty. If I drop another notch to 'groveling', it will be embarassing for everyone involved. Don't make me do that.

-walker

Walker you're right, if it works it'll be good and a cheap way to grt a good head.
I'm lucky I can get a nitrogen mini bottle for £5 a go.

I can use it in bottles with a carbonator. If I popped a widget in I'd have the full effect.

Walker said:
I'm lagging a few posts here.

I'm pretty much convinced these things could be re-used. the only issue I can see is with getting the boogers cleaned properly.

-walker

Screw that! There is your "soured" Guinness (like they recommend doing in an accurate Guinness clone) right there--to make your stout even more authentic!!!

Latest posts

Back