What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kegged my lager (yesterday) and cleaned my fermenter and two other kegs today. This is the first time in 3 years brewing that I didn’t clean my fermenter immediately after kegging. I always make it a point to clean everything promptly but hey, I had to meet the fellas to DRINK beer!

I started soaking the teardown. Replacing old shanks and tubing that's well past its servicing date..
20180212_031019.jpg

Also finished cutting line insulation for inside the tower. Too lazy to DIY a fan blower

Also going to fabricobble a 3 way primary regulator with 4 outputs and change gas lines

Kegged two batches I brewed last month, a Bohemian Pils SMaSh and the leftovers recipe I conjured up. I was calling the leftovers batch a pale ale, but with the amount of Caramel/crystal I used it's more of an amber. Both tasted quite good. The Pils went in the keg fridge, the amber into cellar storage until a keg blows.

Brewed 6 gallons of hefeweizen. Hit my target OG of 1.054 with a 60 minute boil. For some reason the elements were scorched and the batch looks darker than expected. I might have to dial back the output wattage till I figure this out. Anyone know how to clean a scorched element?

Jayjay1976 - Try a soaking in oxy-clean for 24hrs. Rinse well afterwards. Make sure to air dry them well before powering them up.

Try the Utz cheeseballs! good stuff and I reuse the containers in the shop.

Tried the Utz Cheeseballs.... They are good. Good Tip- Thanks!

I normally don't get cheeseballs, ( usually pretzels) but glad I did this time. My wife loves Planters Cheeseballs. Might have to get a big tub for her beerthday. I have a distant work address, where I work, drink, brew and munch, so she hasn't tried them yet.

Cleaning / sanitizing 2 kegs, kegging 10gal of a black IPA, then cleaning out the conical and ordering some more parts and a new chugger pump.

IIPA bottled, some bottles washed but not yet enough to bottle the cerveza. Gosh I hate washing those dang bottles...

I keep a tub of pbw diluted around in the basement and just toss them in there. Onve i have ‘enough’ I switch them to a bucket of hot water, rinse, repeat. Hardest part is building the initial stockpile.

Bar I used to go to had a once a year cheeseball open... you got 10 cheeseballs and had to score by throwing them into a basket above the bar... as you can guess a lot of drinking was involved while playing... Score 10 and your tab was free for the night!

Tried the Utz Cheeseballs.... They are good. Good Tip- Thanks!

I normally don't get cheeseballs, ( usually pretzels) but glad I did this time. My wife loves Planters Cheeseballs. Might have to get a big tub for her beerthday. I have a distant work address, where I work, drink, brew and munch, so she hasn't tried them yet.

Kegged an ale and a lager that I had left sitting in the fermenter for 4 weeks each. Filtered water and weighed everything for a brew day that I am pushing to this coming weekend. Wanted to brew Sunday but it was a dust storm and no way...

I keep a tub of pbw diluted around in the basement and just toss them in there. Onve i have ‘enough’ I switch them to a bucket of hot water, rinse, repeat. Hardest part is building the initial stockpile.

Lol well being the sponge that I am getting dirty empties is not a problem for me, I'd even have a bottle washer semi-permanently fitted to the laundry room tap with a drying rack right beside it, the problem is getting off my oh so lazy bum and to develope the habit of actually waddling there and rinsing the bottle up right after pouring but they just keep piling at the the computer/garage table and the yeast dries up and the flies go in and I just can't be bothered until I actually need them and wash everything in a single go (and curse myself to the seventh hell every time...) Yea I know how dumb is that...

Peeked at the two I've got fermenting right now, another bastard clone and a cascade cream ale. And yes I giggled a bit and patted them gently, told them keep it up, and closed the door quietly so as not to disturb them. Yes I'm weird. Yes I call them my babies. Then I came out to the garage and stared at the perfectly clean and sanitized kegs waiting to receive them. Damn I hate waiting.

I cleaned 100 plus bottles ( lost track), brewed a 5 gal Belgian orange. Located a free used PC to turn into a stir plate.

I received this all grain brew kit from a co-worker today, I've never been embarrassed for hop packaging until today.. oh and the thermometer, that reads up to 110F
IMG_20180221_223654_463.jpg

What did I do for beer today? I contributed a... schiet batch of simple small ale. It's for the sake of reconstructive archaeology!

Pumped beer line cleaner and then sanitizer through one of my tap lines and then hooked up and tapped my Chocolate Milk Stout.

John

Helped my boss brew his brown ale this morning, also helped keg his amber to the detriment of my left middle fingernail (stupid keg ring) and came home to enjoy the first draw of my super high ABV helles bock (previous sentence took a LONG time to type) and now happily listening to Jack Johnson on Pandora and skulking on HBT.

Bottled my first lambic. Did half plain, half blueberry. The blueberry half came out great, so pleased! A weird but not unpleasant taste in the plain that isn't in the blueberry.

Kegged a 4.5% mexican lager
Brewing version 6 of an IPA Ive been working on over a year

MMMMMMMM cheers. Thank god its Mondayyyyy

Gave yeast energizer to the cherry quad which isn't showing signs of fermentation and moved it to a warmer spot in the house. WLP 500 should be able to get to 14 % ABV and it was 9.5 before the addition. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Yesterday actually but, transferred my kolsch into refridgeration. Very very tasty as is! Can't wait til it's finished!

Started getting set up to keg my cream ale, then sniffed the (what I thought was) clean keg. Ugh, stinky. So it's soaking in oxyclean for an hour or so while I enjoy an American Strong I kegged Friday. 10.2% ABV, I get one before kegging otherwise I *will* screw something up. After that it's on like Donkey Kong, horrible Monday at work that I just want to forget. Oh look, beer!

I just bottled my first attempt at a hoppy beer a week ago Sunday; even though it's not ready yet it already tastes awesome and my wife loves it. It was a belgian pale with 40 IBU's of Opal + 2 oz dry hop @7 days. This minor success gave me an immense boost in confidence had me thinking about my next, even hoppier brew. I started looking into more exotic hops as the Opal is kinda pedestrian, and tasted a fantastic ipa at the LHBS hopped with only Rakau...it was luscious. Described as "the whole orchard", the flavor and aroma were stunning. So, I ordered a pound each of jarrylo and rakau pellet hops from Yakima Valley on Saturday... I'll try the jarrylo for bittering @60 and 30, reserving the Rakau for late additions and dry-hopping.

So what did I do for beer today?? I received the tracking number from YVH and clicked it every couple of hours in anticipation.

Back