Letting wort sit for a while??? ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brocster

Reaction score
Brewing a Kolsch today, and I might need to let the wort sit for two hours or so before I can boil. Full boil volume, mashing and sparging all done.

See any problems with this????

All worked well! Let it sit for two hours, SG was spot on and she is boiling away. At least I was able to be the 'mystery' reader at my daughters class. :)

A chapter or two, perhaps, from Jim Palmers epic tome How to Brew?

Yeah,

If you tried to read every book, every thread and every blog you would never get to brew. Plus just the challenge of remembering every little detail. Blackberry and a quick post while brewing sometimes works best for me.

Kolsch is already fermenting away, starter kicked it off in style. It is my SWMBO slayer.

Cheers:mug:

Not if you mash out.

How do you really know that denatures the enzymes and at what rate. Is 10 min really enough or do you need an hour at that temp. That's why its up for debate whether you need to mashout or not

To the OP glad you can make your daughter happy, Im sure I would drop everything I was doing to be the mystery reader

How do you really know that denatures the enzymes and at what rate. Is 10 min really enough or do you need an hour at that temp. That's why its up for debate whether you need to mashout or not

To the OP glad you can make your daughter happy, Im sure I would drop everything I was doing to be the mystery reader

Thanks---she was thrilled. :)

Just to recap:

I mashed in and rested at 144 for 60 minutes, raised temp to 158 for 30 minutes, raised to 169 and sparged. Collected 14.2 gallons in BK with SG of 1.051, then went away for two hours.

Came back and boiled, chilled, aerated and pitched. Fermenting within 3 hours and was still rolling away on day 3.

It should be a good Kolsch.

:mug:

Back