My First All-Grain Brew - Where to Start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Durrdust

Reaction score
I'm just finishing up my first-ever batch of homebrew - a delicious looking red ale. It came as a everything-included kit with an extract wort pre-done.

Next I'd like to get into an all-grain wort and try to source ingredients locally.

I'm just wondering - where do you start when you want to make an off-the-cuff recipe?

Reading Designing Great Beers would be a great place to start.

But first, since it'll be your first all-grain batch, why not start out with a tried-and-true recipe so that you can perfect your all-grain techniques? I'd go with a highly-rated recipe from the recipes section here, or something in Brewing Classic Styles.

I think it'll be less frustrating and more rewarding to learn all-grain brewing first, then learn recipe formulation.

I second Rick on this one... its a good idea to do a clone or something that way you can compare and possibly identify some problems or fine tune your technique. Congrats on the first AG...and welcome to HBT!
:mug:

Steve

Thanks Rick and Steve-

I'm thinking a clone beer is a great idea for the reasons you mentioned - it is likely one of the easier ways to find out if I'm doing anything wrong and will give me a template to work towards.

I guess attempting recipe formulation on the second batch is probably biting off way more than I can chew, eh?

Thanks again for the tips guys - I'm off to do some reading!

I went all grain in January '09 and have made 11 batches since then. I've used the Midwest Supplies all grain kits for most of them while I've been concentrating on my technique. I'm feeling more comfortable about brewing my own recipe now that I have the nuts and bolts down, but the all grain kits were great for a beginner. They come with everything you need and as you start to understand you can order a little extra base malt or another specialty malt to tweak the final product. They are good as they come though. I envision using them after I start buying in bulk to try new styles without committing to a 55# bag and pounds of hops.
Home wine making supply and home brew supply available on-line at Midwest Homebrewing Supplies. Search for wine recipes and beer recipes

AllGrainKit.jpg

Latest posts

Back