Oatmeal Stout Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makeyermark

Reaction score
I'm brewing an Oatmeal stout this weekend. I was planning on brewing today, so I went ahead and toasted my flaked oats in the oven. After they were done, I had second thoughts about brewing today and am thinking of brewing tomorrow. Any downside to toasting the oats a day early? I figure it won't matter, but just thought I would check. I also brought my yeast to room temp and just now threw them back int the fridge. I assume this is ok.

Everything is fine. Just pack your toasted grains in an airtight container until you brew.

Although, to be honest I'm not sure even that is necessary.

I'm looking into doing an oatmeal stout in the near future too. What specs did you use to toast your oats and does it require any out-of-the-ordinary steps in the mash?

I'm looking into doing an oatmeal stout in the near future too. What specs did you use to toast your oats and does it require any out-of-the-ordinary steps in the mash?

Here's the recipie. Oats instructions toward the bottom. I'm just gonna mash in the oats along with the other grains. My LHBS suggested that I add the oats on top though, as they can cause some clogs during sparge.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: wyeast 1084
Yeast Starter: 2000ml
Batch Size (Gallons): 5 gallons
Original Gravity: 1.048-1.051
Final Gravity: 1.010-1.013
IBU: 30
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 68
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Tasting Notes: This is a very good Stout I try to have some on hand all the time.

Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout
Oatmeal Stout

Type: All Grain
Date: 8/28/2008
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Joe
Boil Size: 6.02 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 81.7 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.4 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 5.4 %
0.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5.4 %
0.18 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 2.0 %
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.25%] (60 min) Hops 31.8 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.6 %
Bitterness: 31.8 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 26.5 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 9.18 lb
Sparge Water: 4.25 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 11.48 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F 90 min

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Volumes of CO2: 2.0
Pressure/Weight: 11.3 PSI Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 50.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

Toast oats on cookie sheet at 325F for 75 minuets

Thanks for the info. I'm not making that exact recipe... I'm gonna work it into a different one. I'm trying to understand the toasted oats idea. I don't know what the difference between using them toasted or untoasted is...

I made a sam smith oatmeal stout clone recipe from ahs and it was absolutely fantastic, I wish I would have brewed a 10 gallon batch and hope to fit it into my schedule soon.

That said the oats were not toasted, and it still came out great.

Fwiw I used wyeast 1084 irish ale

I think it's more usual not to toast the oats for an oatmeal stout. Also, I know for grains you're supposed to toast them a couple weeks ahead of time. I'm not sure about oats.

Non-toasted oats aren't going to taste like oatmeal or anything. Instead, they add creaminess to the body. Toasting the oats will add a toasted oat type of flavor.

Thanks for the info. I'm not making that exact recipe... I'm gonna work it into a different one. I'm trying to understand the toasted oats idea. I don't know what the difference between using them toasted or untoasted is...

Actually its an all grain recipe. I think toasting the oats will just add a nice smokeyish flavor. I brewed the toasted version yesterday. I might try an untoasted version in the future just for comparison. I also used the Wyeast 1084 (Irish Ale) and it is already going nuts, without a starter.

Back