I got shut down - no more outdoor brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure why people choose to live like rats stacked on top of each other in places like townhomes but if you accept that type of lifestyle, you deserve what you get.

I'll pile on . . .

Many of my posts are dumb, nonsensical and ill-advised. But really, this is just plain 'ol stupid.

Dude, people live where they can afford. No need to be vindictive. If you want to take care of the down payment on a half-acre property with two yards and a four-car garage for the OP, nothing's stopping you.

What's a half an acre with that setup running for in Emeryville these days? :D

Wait, I'll call one of the Pixar guys. They're local...and pretty much the only ones who could afford it.

Originally Posted by alecoholic
I'm not sure why people choose to live like rats stacked on top of each other in places like townhomes but if you accept that type of lifestyle, you deserve what you get.

I'll pile on . . .

Many of my posts are dumb, nonsensical and ill-advised. But really, this is just plain 'ol stupid.

I agree completely, AND it's not what I just renewed on HBT and come to see. Generally, HBT is a breath of fresh air, compared to a lot of stuff on the Internet.

If anything, we're all here to discuss and try to help people brew in their given situation, which (from what I've read on most HBT threads) they are quite capable of making into places where they can make very fine beer indeed.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a Heaven of Hell,
a Hell of Heaven."

- John Milton, Paradise Lost

I'm surprised to see this got sug back up. For whatever it's worth, I don't brew in doors. I just moved my operation to the yard (even though I'm still within 10 ft of a structure), but my direct neighbors don't care. And in the winter, I'm in the garage with the door up only 1.5-2 feet. So far so good.
Oh, and if alecoholic is willing to spring for us to move to a single family home in the area, I am totally down with that. Just let me know how you want to work out the payments.

What's a half an acre with that setup running for in Emeryville these days? :D

Wait, I'll call one of the Pixar guys. They're local...and pretty much the only ones who could afford it.

Yup, That's why I brew 1-2 gal batches in my studio, with my tiny stove and sink. :mug: With alecoholic's help though I can make payments on the penthouses with rooftop yards a couple floors above me, probably occupied by Pixar execs!

Once I graduate from law school and hopefully end up in Texas, THEN I can start "choosing" where to live.

jacksonbrown said:
I got a call from my homeowners association this weekend. In the message the woman says somethign to the afftect of "some people have noticed you brewing... something in the garage. Whatever it is, I think it's probably against fire safety laws and we'd like you to stop."
I called up my local fire dept this morning to get some info, and, indeed, an open flame within 10 feet of a structure is not allowed in a townhome setting like ours. He didn't say it was illegal, but if an inspector saw it they would make me stop.
I do not have a private yard large enough that would keep me 10 ft from a wall or fence, which means I'm moving operations indoors. Which means 2.5-3 gal batches since our stove sucks. Which means my banjo cooker and 20 gallon Blichmann are essencially useless to me until we move. This f'n BLOWS!

Thats why I hate HOAs. Can't even do what you want to your own home. I came home from work one day and the HOA painted my front door.......while it was closed. Pain in the ass to open when it was dry.

Old post, but HOAs have their good and bad. Most can understand why they are the way they are, others just think they are there to make homeowner's lives bad.

Latest posts

Back