What sets you apart as an exceptional home brewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcarson83

Reaction score
Well I did it again. My unique ability as a brewer has once again ensured that my recent batch of beer will be that much better than the rest of the home brewers out there. In the final moments of the batch before it was put away for three weeks to condition in the bottles I picked the pefect number of bottle caps, without counting or hesitation, out of the bag and tossed them into the sanitizer. Not one too few or too many, the perfect number. I am the greatest.

What sets you apart?

Patience and attention to detail...OK, those are just "good" qualities...:mug:

Consistency??? :ban:

Exceptional...that would be because I am the only HBer in town!!!

Are you in Springfield proper? I have a BIL in Fordland...where he's the mayor. I'll let you know next time we go down for a visit and I'll bring some brew...:D

I think I would be exceptional for my humility .. those yeast are far more intelligent than I could ever hope to be.

After *plowing* through the Fix book on brewing chemistry, I know that I don't know !

My exceptional good looks, charm, and charisma. I never cease to amaze myself. Apparently some other people are amazed as well! Not quite in the same way, but nevertheless...

what sets me apart as an exceptional brewer? the fact that I have never bought any commercial alcohol in my entire life. I have had some commercial stuff in high school but every time I have had commercial alcohol someone has bought it, and it hasnt been that many times.

I wouldn't say I'm "exceptional" - in fact now that I've been brewing my own beer for a year, I'm starting to realize that my beers last year were not nearly as good as I once thought they were.

But I've learned to be much more consistent and thorough with my sanitation, and I do a much better job about controlling my fermentation temps now. Also, I've learned that the old adage "less is more" is often true in brewing beer as well, what I mean is that I've figured out that my initial ideas of if 4% ABV is good then 6% ABV must be even better is not always true, same for adding hops and malts - I'm finding restraint to be more successful.

So it wouldn't ever occur to me to call myself exceptional, I'm confident that I can make pretty much any beer any recipe now and pull it off, and I've got more than a few recipes that I more or less made up from scratch that while they haven't won any prizes, my friends and family have been pretty impressed.

I think what helps me is i continue to try and out do myself. I also give my beer away freely and ask them to give me honest opinions. You wouldnt believe that some people actually tell me that my beer isnt good. I totally respect that and continue to try and improve on my brewing.

kevinspacey_seven_02.jpg

I'm not special. I've never been exceptional. This is though. What I'm doing. My work....

2077581849_dddd3d7c1c.jpg

As I read this I can only think of the immortal words(lyrics)...

"O' Lord it's hard to be humble
When you're perfect in every way.
:D

Well I did it again. My unique ability as a brewer has once again ensured that my recent batch of beer will be that much better than the rest of the home brewers out there. In the final moments of the batch before it was put away for three weeks to condition in the bottles I picked the pefect number of bottle caps, without counting or hesitation, out of the bag and tossed them into the sanitizer. Not one too few or too many, the perfect number. I am the greatest.

What sets you apart?

HomeBrewTalk.com sets us all apart!

kevinspacey_seven_02.jpg

I'm not special. I've never been exceptional. This is though. What I'm doing. My work....

2077581849_dddd3d7c1c.jpg

Beautiful picture what beer is that?
Brew Dude: where are you located in Southern California? I'm currently in Palmdale.

I'm the youngest homebrewer I know :( Unfortunately at a LHBS in LA that means I get slightly mistreated as a hooch maker. Though I've made several brews that have impressed people, and more importantly that I've enjoyed.

Of course I must mention HBT has definitely helped me many times! Not to mention the ease of Edwort's Apfelwein recipe is what initally got me hooked!

What sets you apart?

I miss Springfield... good days back at SMSU (or whatever they call it these days).

What sets me apart as a brewer? Being analytical and loving to learn, probably. That said, I am still way too new to the hobby to evaluate my skills, but I figure that as long as I like my beers, I am doing just fine.

I miss Springfield... good days back at SMSU (or whatever they call it these days).

What sets me apart as a brewer? Being analytical and loving to learn, probably. That said, I am still way too new to the hobby to evaluate my skills, but I figure that as long as I like my beers, I am doing just fine.

You mean missouri state. I go to UMR, now Missouri S&T, I need to go back and finish my degree eventually...

Beautiful picture what beer is that?
Brew Dude: where are you located in Southern California? I'm currently in Palmdale.

I'm the youngest homebrewer I know :( Unfortunately at a LHBS in LA that means I get slightly mistreated as a hooch maker. Though I've made several brews that have impressed people, and more importantly that I've enjoyed.

Of course I must mention HBT has definitely helped me many times! Not to mention the ease of Edwort's Apfelwein recipe is what initally got me hooked!

Heh, I don't know what kind of beer that is. I just found that picture on the internet.

I'm currently in Long Beach but I'm going to be moving to Santa Barbara in a few weeks for school.

I think you guys are missing the subtle point. What idiosyncrasy is unique to you?

Alright, alright. I think I am always striving for more. I know a few homebrewers and they all are perfectly content with brewing with extract, and they have never had the desire to go all grain. I did two extract batches and I'm already doing all grain. As soon as I have more space and cash, I'll buy some more equipment to help me keg and lager.

what sets me apart as an exceptional brewer? the fact that I have never bought any commercial alcohol in my entire life. I have had some commercial stuff in high school but every time I have had commercial alcohol someone has bought it, and it hasnt been that many times.

How can you ever be a great brewer without any knowledge of what you are brewing should taste like, and have you never been to a bar?

i have to say that i've brewed beers i'd previously never tasted commercially and they came out great, and i've brewed beer by just throwing stuff together (even before i knew recipe formulation) that were also fantastic...

...but that does seem like an odd statement.

k1, you've NEVER bought any commercial beer? why not?

What sets you apart?

if picking the right amount of bottles caps without looking makes someone an exceptional homebrewer, man i have nailed that on the head a few times

My reluctance to come to grips with just what an exceptional brewer I am.
;)

This thread has truly humbled me.

All I want to do is make good beer and I am walking in the presences of Gods.

Actually, my standard is if a function ends at 3pm, but there are more than 10 people hanging out until all of my homebrew kegs float - regardless of the time. I kick ass, then I pass out, (I have to help to float the kegs). :rockin:

I have had some commercial beers including some good craft beers but Ive never been interested in duplicating what everyone else is brewing. I got into homebrewing for the science but I keep brewing because I know I can ferment things that are truly unique. When I make a new recipe I try to balance things like malt and bitter and carbonation but I dont try to perfectly match any style guidelines, it would be hard if not impossible to find commercial examples of most of the stuff I brew.

I'm the best for miles around. Of course I'm the only one for miles around.

If I make beers that I like, I'm that good. I even make beer that others like. What more can you ask of an exceptional brewer?

My executive powers of delegation. I assign tasks and expect them to be done with efficiency and effectiveness. My staff? Thousands of little one celled creatures...they do most of the real work.

SWMBO and I make a pretty exceptional team, or maybe just unusual: She's a real wiz with the ingredients and recipes (especially belgian spice stuff), and I am master of the equipment and processing (and, as it turns out, cleaning up afterwards). Together, we make some pretty darn good beer.

Back