The best brat recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chef273b

Reaction score
Anyone care to share one, from scratch, not a pre-packaged mix from Sausage Maker or another?

Here is the one I make on a regular basis.

5lb pork butt
5 tsp salt
5 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp coriander
1 Tbsp sage
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp dried rosemary
1 Tbsp dry mustard
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cayenne
1 cup ice water

Grind the pork through a coarse plate. Mix the spices into the ice water & mix everything thoroughly with the ground pork. Stuff into hog casings.

5lb pork butt
5 tsp salt
5 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp coriander
1 Tbsp sage
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp dried rosemary
1 Tbsp dry mustard
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cayenne
1 cup ice water

Grind the pork through a coarse plate. Mix the spices into the ice water & mix everything thoroughly with the ground pork. Stuff into hog casings.

Sounds good. Will try tomorrow.

Don't have my notes with me so I can only mumble some recollections. The thing that makes a brat a brat is mace so you have to have some of that. I've thrown in everything but the kitchen sink besides the mace in one batch or another. White pepper, black pepper, mustard, eggs, soy protein, purified salt, mustard, fenugreek, ginger, chipotle pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic (this doesn't really belong it a brat but it certainly is good), taragon - can't remember what else and don't have any amounts for you.

I'm getting the meat grinder out this weekend anyway... perhaps i'll have to try this one too.
Mmmmmmm sausage!

There is more than one way to take this. ...

that said, I agree, I'm going to have to try out this recipe.

5lb pork butt
5 tsp salt
5 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp coriander
1 Tbsp sage
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp dried rosemary
1 Tbsp dry mustard
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cayenne
1 cup ice water

Made a couple tweaks: subd mace for the nutmeg, backed off the sage & rosemary & cayenne, added some dry milk powder. Links look fantastic. Will cook tomorrow and post results.

I like a combo brat, beef and pork.
10 pounds brisket
10 pounds pork butt
I cut the fat and grind it fine, the lean gets a coarse grind
2 oz salt
pepper to taste
1 whole nutmeg, finely ground
Dissolve the spices in one bottle of Guinness or low hopped brown ale, add to meat and stir until well mixed. Stuff into hog casings let dry on racks in fridge overnight.
I've made (with my crew) about 800 pounds of this over the past 10 years for our Oktoberfest.
I've also substituted chicken thigh meat for the pork, but you need to add beef or duck fat to make it taste good. I shoot for 30-35% fat for my brats.

I like a combo brat, beef and pork.
10 pounds brisket
10 pounds pork butt
I cut the fat and grind it fine, the lean gets a coarse grind
2 oz salt
pepper to taste
1 whole nutmeg, finely ground
Dissolve the spices in one bottle of Guinness or low hopped brown ale, add to meat and stir until well mixed. Stuff into hog casings let dry on racks in fridge overnight.
I've made (with my crew) about 800 pounds of this over the past 10 years for our Oktoberfest.
I've also substituted chicken thigh meat for the pork, but you need to add beef or duck fat to make it taste good. I shoot for 30-35% fat for my brats.

Nice. I find that chicken thighs, in a whatever sausage, work with pork fat ground in, at about 20%.
And crew is definitely helpful.

Made a couple tweaks: subd mace for the nutmeg, backed off the sage & rosemary & cayenne, added some dry milk powder. Links look fantastic. Will cook tomorrow and post results.

Turned out some bad-assed brats. Neglected to tell my guy to add the ice water (will likely use iced beer), but the flavor was spot-on. Kinda threw all the people that sampled for a loop. The guy from Wisconsin wanted to buy some.
ForumRunner_20130803_185133.jpg

Back