Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to mention, I got in a car accident about 30 seconds after I dropped my envelope in the mailbox. I stopped to drop it in the box about 2 blocks from my house, on my way home from work. I was pulling through the intersection about a half block from my house and BAM! This lady wasn't paying attention and t-boned me. No one was hurt, I am fine but I thought I would share this wish everyone.

View attachment 61439

That sucks! Sorry to hear =(

Eek - glad you are alright!

Thanks for the payment notifications everyone - i received a couple more via PM.

Sure, AFTER the grain buy closes I am given a free fridge for lagering. Well, maybe next time I will get the grains and hops needed for some octoberfest and bocks! Lol

Sure, AFTER the grain buy closes I am given a free fridge for lagering. Well, maybe next time I will get the grains and hops needed for some octoberfest and bocks! Lol

See you should have jumped all over the pils and the saaz! haha

ok gents a few more payments in (only 9 more to go):

PAID
-----------
CidahMastah $416.00
brian4508 $176.00
gcdowd $135.00
jdowling $365.00
DannSchuler $325.00
Copyright1997 $688.00
TwoGunz $40.00
DBush20 $347.00
Smashing $95.00
BryanJ $277.00
bierhaus15 $495.00
a. Me: $85

c. Randy: $150
bellinmi88 $339.00
JeffB418 $401.00
Drmark50 $456.00
wheadman66 $175.00
Racin_NY $189.00(200)
MPARSONS327 $195.00
Cgondoli1 $204.00(210)

I like the refractometers, but I have that same one (at least I think it is the same). Great for readings throughout a brew day but you can't accurately use them after fermentation or during.

Oddly, mine needs a calibration often (usually slight, but annoying). Because of this I can never rely on it. Recently I resolved to only use my hydrometer when I really want an accurate reading. That refractometer to me is a ball park reading device. YMMV

I am way too detail oriented though. I researched the spec for a tiller's shear bolts before buying replacements.... So you can see how I am.

I'm thinking about one because on brew day, I grab my pre boil gravity but can't actually read it until the boil is nearly over due to getting it to room temp, keeping me from being able to adjust as necessary. Do you find it helps you with this?

I like the refractometers, but I have that same one (at least I think it is the same). Great for readings throughout a brew day but you can't accurately use them after fermentation or during.

Oddly, mine needs a calibration often (usually slight, but annoying). Because of this I can never rely on it. Recently I resolved to only use my hydrometer when I really want an accurate reading. That refractometer to me is a ball park reading device. YMMV

I have a similar one (I think they are all made at the same factory as I have never seen one look different) and I have had good luck with it. For a while I used both the refractometer and the hydrometer until I was confident that the refractometer was accurate.

I also use a spreadsheet I found online that does the conversion post-fermentation. And again I used both for a while until I was sure it was accurate enough.

I wouldn't say it is perfect, it may be off by a point or two here and there. So if needed perfection i would use the hydrometer. And SWMBO and I sometime disagree on what we are reading from it since the marking on the scale aren't that big.

I do find that it needs to be calibrated often though. I bought a gallon of distilled water for like $1 at Wegman's i use to calibrate it. I just do it like every second or third brew day to keep it accurate.

I'm thinking about one because on brew day, I grab my pre boil gravity but can't actually read it until the boil is nearly over due to getting it to room temp, keeping me from being able to adjust as necessary. Do you find it helps you with this?

This is where I think they are most useful. We batch sparge and take a reading after each running for documentation. So knowing pre-boil gravity before the boil even starts is nice.

This is where I think they are most useful. We batch sparge and take a reading after each running for documentation. So knowing pre-boil gravity before the boil even starts is nice.

the above is exactly what you should be buying it for.
------------------------------

I too use the distilled water. Not hard to calibrate, but I guess I am just demanding about the equipment haha

I use distilled water to wash all my yeast now, have gotten to lazy to boil, sterilize and cool everything. But you know what, the distilled worked great and taking mason jars right out of teh dishwater and rinsing has worked great for me.

Yeah I use a refractometer every time I brew. I cal it out every time I brew with distilled water and seems to hold constant for the entire day. Great for taking measurements out of your mash tun, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, runnings and pre/post boil. Having all those numbers helps find where your eff issues may lie (conversion or sparge).

received some more payments (4 more to go):

Thanks!

PAID
-----------
CidahMastah $416.00
brian4508 $176.00
gcdowd $135.00
jdowling $365.00
DannSchuler $325.00
Copyright1997 $688.00
TwoGunz $40.00
DBush20 $347.00
Smashing $95.00
BryanJ $277.00
bierhaus15 $495.00
b. Jim: $15
d. Jeff: $245

bellinmi88 $339.00
JeffB418 $401.00
Drmark50 $456.00
wheadman66 $175.00
Racin_NY $189.00(200)
MPARSONS327 $195.00
Cgondoli1 $204.00(210)
Strecker25 $197.00
Rustbucket $92.00

received some more payments (4 more to go):

Thanks!

PAID
-----------
CidahMastah $416.00
brian4508 $176.00
gcdowd $135.00
jdowling $365.00
DannSchuler $325.00
Copyright1997 $688.00
TwoGunz $40.00
DBush20 $347.00
Smashing $95.00
BryanJ $277.00
bierhaus15 $495.00
b. Jim: $15
d. Jeff: $245

bellinmi88 $339.00
JeffB418 $401.00
Drmark50 $456.00
wheadman66 $175.00
Racin_NY $189.00(200)
MPARSONS327 $195.00
Cgondoli1 $204.00(210)
Strecker25 $197.00
Rustbucket $92.00

In other news, Cidah books a month vacation out of the states.... haha =)

so does anyone want to share a ride or pick-up for me in rochester? I'm in henrietta.

I think these guys are in Rochester:

wheadman66
strecker25
smashing

Not sure if they are booked up with grain hauling. Or perhaps you could meet up or share some of the trip expense with the buffalo people? Have them meet you in roch?

Buffalo:
Westo2
t-booneyay

Jeff -
The wife has wanted to go back to visit family in Poland! :D

ok only two more payments to go. Here are the total paid list to the minute.

Thanks!

PAID
-----------
CidahMastah $416.00
brian4508 $176.00
gcdowd $135.00
jdowling $365.00
DannSchuler $325.00
Copyright1997 $688.00
TwoGunz $40.00
DBush20 $347.00
Smashing $95.00
BryanJ $277.00
bierhaus15 $495.00
bellinmi88 $339.00
JeffB418 $401.00
Drmark50 $456.00
wheadman66 $175.00
Racin_NY $189.00
MPARSONS327 $195.00
Cgondoli1 $204.00
Strecker25 $197.00
Rustbucket $92.00
CBK $235.00
t-booneyay $185.00
-----------

Anybody brewing this weekend? Making space for your soon to be huge grain and hop orders?

I am thinking about making a hefe with the BZ-SPLZ malt I grabbed two orders ago and/or going the route of an octoberfest. But who knows I may scrap it and go for some easier ales and IPAs! Seems like most of my recent brews have been so finicky temperature wise and bogging down al;l my temperature controlled chambers (dubbel, golden, specialty)... ah the belgian brews!

CidahMastah said:
Anybody brewing this weekend? Making space for your soon to be huge grain and hop orders?

Yeah doing a franken-ale a red ale with tf-mo that i want to use up and cara Munich. Going to use a wyeast German ale yeast cake from a kolsch'ish brew. Gonna try and do 2 5gallon brews AFTER work tonight, last time I did a double brew session it took 8 hrs. Wish me luck, I going to be a loooooong night.

Have a 3 day weekend this week so am going for 2 batches. Going to do a deception cream stout and a falconers flight ipa. I have never done a lager but now have a temp controlled fermentation chamber. Looking to do an oktoberfest for my first lager attempt. If anyone has a good recipe please post up. Thanks

Nice!

The ony thing keeping me from doing the octoberfest this weekend is the lack of yeast prepped. Looks like that one will have to wait (still don't have an October fest recipe set up :). Though I could rebrew a BoPils...

I enjoyed the deception cream stout (good stuff for sure), but liked an oatmeal stout I brewed a bit better. Hoping the chocolate stout clone I am doing will be ready just as I am emptying my keg of cloned guinness from the nitro tap.

Nice!

I enjoyed the deception cream stout (good stuff for sure), but liked an oatmeal stout I brewed a bit better.

Do you have this posted anywhere?

I was going to brew this RAPA:

8 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 75.6 %
1 lbs Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.9 %
1 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 3 8.9 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.7 %
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 23.1 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 3.5 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 7.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 1.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 3.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 12 -

....Until I realized I never filled my tank! I knew I forgot something......Anyway - tell me what you think of the recipe.

Yeah, I am doing a Belgian Wit tonight with dried ruby red grape fruit peels, dried tangerine peels, corriander and a bit of cracked pepper corn. Using Admiral, Saaz and Hallertau for the hops. Using Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey for the yeast. Been meaning to brew this for a while, just haven't had much free time.

Probably going to do a Cream Stout next weekend during the 3-day weekend. Would like to let the stout age a few months to be ready for next winter.

The wife just bought me 2 more corny's for my birthday to add to the one I already have, so I need to fill them up.

I wish I could say that the oatmeal stout was my recipe - but it wasn't! haha It was Jamil's and I toasted the oats in the oven. I will say that this one doesn't age well. It didn't last with me on nitro, but my buddy left his keg at my house for like 6 months before getting it. He said it was still good but it definitely lost something. I personally think it was the roasted oat character, but I never tried the older brew.

I can post a recipe later, but it is straight from jamil's book if you have it.

Recipe looks good. I love Rye and I think you could easily go up to 20% rye with no issues, and a great malt flavor and extra body to the brew. I used to think rye was spicy in a lot of the beers I brewed it with, but now I think that might have been more hop character. My roggenbier (rye hefe) was REALLY awesome. I served it out of style through nitro and it was super smooth and creamy. the "spice" wasn't super apparent as I thought it would be for a beer using 11lbs of rye.

OK that was a long way of saying....
1. You could up the rye for some more malt character and body to at least 20% of the grain bill if you want.
2. You might want to consider dry hopping (for a pale ale I def would)
3. I didn't enjoy the citra in ruthless rye as much as I have the mt hood and Columbus hops like in Denny's rye. But that is totally subjective and dependent on what you are looking for in your brew. Some people just love the heck out of cascade (I know I do). But I think I would consider some of the spicier hops (tett, maybe saaz) that might accentuate what people may expect a RAPA may taste like.

or just run with what you got! haha

Have a 3 day weekend this week so am going for 2 batches. Going to do a deception cream stout and a falconers flight ipa. I have never done a lager but now have a temp controlled fermentation chamber. Looking to do an oktoberfest for my first lager attempt. If anyone has a good recipe please post up. Thanks

I've got my own recipe for an Oktoberfest that came out really good last year. I'll have to post it up when I get home. I brewed 10 gal this year since it went so damn fast last fall.

I've got my own recipe for an Oktoberfest that came out really good last year. I'll have to post it up when I get home. I brewed 10 gal this year since it went so damn fast last fall.

That is the only reason I am considering not making it! haha all that lagering and hard work wiped out in an evening. We are planning to serve it at our ciderfest.

I'm hoping to brew an Amarillo/Glacier Blonde and some nitrogen worthy brew, probably another extra stout. It's going to be gorgeous out so I'll bounce back and forth between yard work and brewing.

I'm hoping to brew an Amarillo/Glacier Blonde and some nitrogen worthy brew, probably another extra stout. It's going to be gorgeous out so I'll bounce back and forth between yard work and brewing.

+1

Will be a weekend worthy of outdoor yard work. Plant your gardens! :D

When we get teh hops in I plan on going with a summit bittered amarillo late hopped IPA. I have yet to do a blonde but want to.... well a belgian blonde anyway (hardy harr harr)

I wish I could say that the oatmeal stout was my recipe - but it wasn't! haha It was Jamil's and I toasted the oats in the oven. I will say that this one doesn't age well. It didn't last with me on nitro, but my buddy left his keg at my house for like 6 months before getting it. He said it was still good but it definitely lost something. I personally think it was the roasted oat character, but I never tried the older brew.

I can post a recipe later, but it is straight from jamil's book if you have it.

Recipe looks good. I love Rye and I think you could easily go up to 20% rye with no issues, and a great malt flavor and extra body to the brew. I used to think rye was spicy in a lot of the beers I brewed it with, but now I think that might have been more hop character. My roggenbier (rye hefe) was REALLY awesome. I served it out of style through nitro and it was super smooth and creamy. the "spice" wasn't super apparent as I thought it would be for a beer using 11lbs of rye.

OK that was a long way of saying....
1. You could up the rye for some more malt character and body to at least 20% of the grain bill if you want.
2. You might want to consider dry hopping (for a pale ale I def would)
3. I didn't enjoy the citra in ruthless rye as much as I have the mt hood and Columbus hops like in Denny's rye. But that is totally subjective and dependent on what you are looking for in your brew. Some people just love the heck out of cascade (I know I do). But I think I would consider some of the spicier hops (tett, maybe saaz) that might accentuate what people may expect a RAPA may taste like.

or just run with what you got! haha

1. I was looking for a little lighter ale for summer so I went a little conservative. Plus I was going to use my smaller tun on this and have to watch my grain bill.

2. I will be dry hopping, I just didn't include it in Beersmith.

3. I really dig the Ruthless but other than that I'm using hops that I have on hand until the buy goes through!

Thanks for the thoughts! The best part of all this is I get to do it again and again! The other side of all this is that I'm never used the rye or honey malts and I'd like to get a feel for them.

1. I was looking for a little lighter ale for summer so I went a little conservative. Plus I was going to use my smaller tun on this and have to watch my grain bill.

2. I will be dry hopping, I just didn't include it in Beersmith.

3. I really dig the Ruthless but other than that I'm using hops that I have on hand until the buy goes through!

Thanks for the thoughts! The best part of all this is I get to do it again and again! The other side of all this is that I'm never used the rye or honey malts and I'd like to get a feel for them.

Yup sometimes the best call is just to roll with it! :D!

I was nervous with my roggenbier thinking that with all that rye it would be a super spicy mess. I was amazed at the body addition of the rye (well suited for a PA, IPA or HEFE). Was even more surprised at how much rye I used and the spicy note was still a nuance, and didn't overtake the beer at all. I think the rye for that recipe was in the neighborhood of 45-50%?

I have a feeling that you will start buying bags of rye once you start tasting some of the rye beers you can make. I mean seriously, the roggenbier blew the socks off of any hefe I have had to date. I did serve it lower carbed on nitro, so maybe that did something to it, but still... I almost grabbed two bags of rye this past grain buy, but wanted to let other people get the good deals since I have quite a lot of stock!

I know i have said this 1 thousand times but... have you brewed denny's rye IPA? If not, do it. I bet you will like it more than ruthless. I liked ruthless, but it doesn't stand up to Denny's Wry Smile IMO.

Have fun man!

Received that payment from weston in the mail so just one more payment to go. Have a good weekend guys!

Here is my own Oktoberfest Recipe:

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 45.5 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 22.7 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 22.7 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.5 %
8.0 oz Caramunich III Malt (71.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.5 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 16.7 IBUs
0.75 oz Saaz [3.30 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 6.7 IBUs
0.25 oz Saaz [3.30 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 1.5 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.4 %
Bitterness: 24.9 IBUs
Est Color: 9.7 SRM

Here is my own Oktoberfest Recipe:

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 45.5 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 22.7 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 22.7 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.5 %
8.0 oz Caramunich III Malt (71.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.5 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 16.7 IBUs
0.75 oz Saaz [3.30 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 6.7 IBUs
0.25 oz Saaz [3.30 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 1.5 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.4 %
Bitterness: 24.9 IBUs
Est Color: 9.7 SRM

This looks good Jeff. I have most of the ingredients on hand. Will be ordering yeast and doing this one up. Thanks

When you guys brew with pilsen malt, do you boil for 90 minutes to rid of the dms? Or is it really that big a deal?

When you guys brew with pilsen malt, do you boil for 90 minutes to rid of the dms? Or is it really that big a deal?

I am no expert by any means but every recipe I have ever seen using pilsner always seems to have a 90 minute boil.

Back