I need your Chicken Tikka Masala Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm seriously jonesing right now...I just doctored a commercial masala sauce product because I didn't want to cook a long time...but it ain't close to the Bengali or Indian Tikka Masalas...In fact there's no discernable tomato in this sauce...I don't know what's in it...

So HELP ME!!!!!

One of you guys/gals on here has a recipe in your arsenal for this dish...Orfy? Ohio Brit/Laughing Gnome? You Brit's know a thing or two about curries....Do we have any Indians or Bengali brewers here?

Someone? Anyone?

I know it's not REAL Indian food, it's really Glasgow pub grub...but it still rocks!

I know there's a ton of recipes online and I have a killer curry book, but I want a trusted recipe by someone who cooks it often...

SO please hook this junky up...I may have to cook it again this week....

Sigh.

Here's what I use for an easy pub version.
a Jamie Oliver version.

For the marinade
Blitz the chilli, garlic, ginger and vegetable oil in the food processor. Add the paprika, garam masala and tomato puree, plus the coriander stalks, and blitz again to form a paste. Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl, coat them with the marinade and leave in the fridge overnight.

The next day…
In a little vegetable oil, on a medium heat, fry the onion, peppers and spices in a large saucepan. Cook gently for 10 minutes then add the tin of tomatoes and the yoghurt. Add the chicken pieces and simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes until cooked. Just before serving, stir through the double cream and chopped coriander leaves.

This is not a Killer recipe but it is an approximation of what you may be served in a very good pub.

When I do Tikka I add yoghurt to the marinade leave in the fridge overnight then bbq it. If I make a sauce I serve it separately rather than as a wet curry.

Vindaloo >>>>>>>>>>>>> masala :D
But when I make masala, I use pre-made powder I bought at an Indian grocery. I just mix it up with some water and a little bit of oil, and bake.

There is a commercial powder available for this that is spot on. If I remember I'll get you the name. I don't make it often because there is an Indian buffet in town that always has it on, along with tons of other really great stuff. But we have made it for company before.

If I remember I'll dig out a book that has a CTM recipe (although what you need is a nice Shahi Korma:))

If you like UK style restaurant curries you should invest in "The Curry Secret".

Amazon.com: The Curry Secret: Kris Dhillon: Books

I was dubious but it's the closest thing to nailing restaurant style sauces. Make the base sauce and meats in volume and freeze then you can whip up your favorite curries with a few additions in about 15 minutes.

[edit: Read your post more carefully. Sounds like you want the restaurant version. You need the book. All other curry books provide delicious food but no others get close AT ALL to restaurant versions.]

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, here's the recipe. This will give you a CTM like you'd get in a UK restaurant (albeit that the definition of CTM is wide enough to drive a bus through). The key to the restaurant style curries is that they all use the base sauce, prepared in advance, probably in a large bathtub in the kitchen. For each recipe the sauce is tweaked with different ingredients to give the final result. For authentic Indian dishes (CTM aside therefore) this is not how it's done.

WOW GroovePuppy!!! That looks awesome. Exactly what I'm looking for....

icon_017.gif

I find it better if you cook the chicken on a grill and cook the sauce in a pan then marry the two over rice.

Revvy I have never even had Chicken Tikka and I'm thinking to myself I got to make this, it looks damn good.

Oh man, you don't know what you are missing.....It rocks if done right.

I had a Bangladeshi landlord who I lived above for 2 years of ministerial school, and when I came home from work and school and 10pm, there would be a knock on the back stairway door, and they would bring me a huge plate of it...

Enjoy!

I had a Bangladeshi landlord who I lived above for 2 years of ministerial school, and when I came home from work and school and 10pm, there would be a knock on the back stairway door, and they would bring me a huge plate of it...

You lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, b4ast4rd! ;)

You lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, b4ast4rd! ;)

Yeah...and around the block these 2 young guys opened up a bengali resteraunt/catering company (oh my god the deserts they would put together) and I became like their first white customer, and dragged about 2 dozen people to try the place...I would practically get to eat for free every time I went in there...awesome...simply awesome.

Back