sour mashed beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodfatherX

Reaction score
So I just found out today, that there is another local brewery near me. Their flagship beer is called copper flask. It is suppose to be a vienna style lager close to a festbeer.

from their website

Q: Your label says, “Sour Mashed For Character™” what does that mean?

A: All Naked Lion™ beers are made using a proprietary sour mashing process that gives our beers a unique crispness and malty character that you cannot find in other luxury beers.

I thought sour mash just meant they reused some of the old mash to start fermentation in a new batch. I do not really see this helping the character at all. Or is sour mashing something different when it is done for beer.

The way I understand a sour mash beer is, you decoct half of the mash and put it into a seperate Tun. Let it sit for 14-48 hours to get the bacteria count up and then add it back to the rest of the mash. After that you sparge and boil. I dont know if this is how it is really done but its the info I have seen on it.

Don't let them fool you. Sour mashing in the beer sence is the same as sour mashing in the Whisky. They are using the whisky example what we call Krausening. Which is to add some of the actively fermenting beer into the new wort as a way of pitching yeast. That brewery also contracts their beer out to a brewery up here in WI and all it is is a American Lager.

Don't let them fool you. Sour mashing in the beer sence is the same as sour mashing in the Whisky. They are using the whisky example what we call Krausening. Which is to add some of the actively fermenting beer into the new wort as a way of pitching yeast. That brewery also contracts their beer out to a brewery up here in WI and all it is is a American Lager.

...I would try one for free but I sure wouldn't spend any of my own cash for some. I posted this elsewhere when I first encountered the product:

While browsing my local beer distro's selection, this product stuck out like a sore thumb dying for attention. Flashy photographic packaging w/plenty of keyword mania, snappy product & brewery names. As I read the carton, I noticed it was an "ultra premium lager sour mashed for character." All this added up to a red-flag pass on my part.

Initial BA and Ratebeer reviews are what I would expect by my initial impressions.

Back