Blonde Ale Simple Blonde Ale (Extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I'd want to go for a more malty flavor, what would happen if I added 1 lb of carapils and crystal instead of the 0,5 lbs?

Brewed an adaption of this as a Partial mash. It's been 9 days in the bottle and it is fantastic! I brewed it last year as an extract hybrid, and now it is even better! my recipe is below:

partial mash at ~150°F for 30 minutes with a batch sparge of 1.5 gallons of 170°F water. I achieved 65 efficency.

4 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 54.5 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 6.1 %
4.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 3.0 %
3 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 36.4 %
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 12.0 IBUs
0.75 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 5.5 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining
0.50 oz Cascade [7.30 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 2.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [7.30 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 0.3 IBUs
0.25 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 0.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast

dz2d9w0.jpg

More bitter than I expected, but very good. 2 gallons was made into a strawberry blonde with extract and it is also good, though it will probably improve with a little age

Of course, I forgot to split the DME into two additions. The beer will be fine. It may not be blonde but it'll be a good beer. More updates as I continue to screw things up.

My OG was 1.050, I am sure this is due to adding all the dme at once. The only sediment I had was hops and Irish Moss and I strained it during racking.

After one week the gravity is down to 1.010, I will let it settle for another week then crash cool it and bottle. I'm going to use this recipe as the base for a Dandelion Ale which I may brew this Sunday.

I bottled this yesterday and it the hydrometer sample taste like a heffiweizen. This could be good either way. I brewed another batch of it today with a few variations which I'll share if it's worth drinking.

I remembered to split the DME addition this time and the og was 1.050 once again.

I have tried a few of these, they've been bottled for eight days. It fermented out to 1.010 but is more a Hefeweizen than a Blonde Ale. I'm putting the partial mash version into the batting line-up now.

This definitely improves with age and some time in refrigeration, it is much less Heffe like and more of a Blonde Ale now. In fact, I used this as a base for a Dandelion Ale which I racked out of Primary today. After fourteen days the gravity is at 1.009 and there is very little Dandelion (green) funky flavor. (I thought I was going to need to dry hop it.)

I will be bottling the Dandelion Ale in a few days, so stay tuned!

Bought the ingredients for this recipe and wasn't paying attention when I milled the carapils and crystal. I ended up mixing both together before I remembered that I had 1lb each. What are your thoughts on what I should do? Should I just steep the combined 2 lbs or should I just make sure they're evenly mixed and steep the 1 lb total? If I do the full 2lbs what should I expect?

Bought the ingredients for this recipe and wasn't paying attention when I milled the carapils and crystal. I ended up mixing both together before I remembered that I had 1lb each. What are your thoughts on what I should do? Should I just steep the combined 2 lbs or should I just make sure they're evenly mixed and steep the 1 lb total? If I do the full 2lbs what should I expect?

I would say it will be fine if you add the whole 2 lbs. It will slightly increase your OG, not sure by how much, but that will just increase your %abv. If you don't want it stronger, you could compensate by adding about 1/4 lb less of the DME and get close to the same %abv and still a good beer.

Brewing a partial mash version of this today. I substituted US Golding for the Willamette from extract version cause our questionable brew supply shop didn't have Willamette.

Nearly bottling time, the gravity sample's a bit watery and there's plenty of Dry Malt Extract in the bottom of the fermentation vessel. I should have boiled the late addition malt another 10 minutes. When will I learn? ;)

Are you sure that isn't yeast in the bottom of the fermentation vessel? They do have a similar color. Unless your OG was lower than expected (significantly so), I'd say there is another culprit.

With that said, one of the things I often do is stop my timer while I do my late extract additions. Anything more than about a pound stops my boil, and I wait until it gets going again before I restart my timer.

I will be transferring the beer for cold crash this weekend, so we'll see if it's malt or yeast. Thanks for the advice about adding the dry malt as a late addition.

Hey guys, going to brew this very soon but my LHBS is currently out of CaraPils malt. Anyone know a good substitute? Thanks!!

Hey all, ended up getting some CaraPils afterall. My question is, if my OG is something under 1.050, and my batch volume ends up being about 4.75 gallons rather than 5.5, would I need 2 tubes of WLP 060 yeast or just 1?

1 vial should be ok as long as the vial isn't too old. It it's over 3-4 months old you could consider making a small starter or making a 'vitality starter'

Back