Blonde Ale Czech Pseudo-Pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP051 Cali V
Yeast Starter
wouldn\\'t hurt
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
3.5 (SRM)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2-3 weeks @ 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
optional 1-2 weeks
Tasting Notes
Somewhere between Dad\\'s favorite macro lager and Pilsner-Urquell
I came up with this beer to accomplish a few things: I wanted something to have on tap that was a real crowd pleaser, and I needed it to be cheap and easy to replicate. I also don't have the means or patience to do a 'true' lager. Without sounding like bragging, it has been wildly successful at meeting all criteria.

In fact, I'm still sometimes blown away at how well it turns out simply because it requires almost no effort. Just pitch the yeast and come back in 2 weeks to keg it up. No secondary means no extra cleaning :D

8lbs Belgian Pilsner
1lb Munich
.5lb Caraplis

1oz Saaz (3.6%) @ 60min
1oz Saaz (3.6%) / Irish Moss @ 15min
1oz Saaz (3.6%) @ 2min

WLP051 California V Ale

Mash @ 150 for 60 minutes

I think the real star here is the white labs Cali V yeast. I chose it on a whim because I couldn't decide on what yeast to use. I've used it in the past and it has a strong sulfur component during fermentation, which to me sounded lager-esque. It's also been super flocculant for me, which gives that wonderful clarity without the need for additional conditioning or cold crashing. The result is something that is greater than the sum of its parts. It's likely not going to knock anyone's socks off, but for $30 and an afternoon you'll have a beer that everyone can enjoy

As the weather is warming up this is becoming one of my favorite brews. I meant to take pictures to show off the gorgeous clarity but it got drank too fast. Will try to post something next time around

Back