Post pins push out past top after new seals?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biohaz7331

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been addressed but I could not find anything specific to my question. Okay so whenever I buy used kegs I get the used keg seal kit that comes with all new seals. Whenever I disassemble the liquid side ports and put new seals with keg lube on them, the center portion sticks up higher than the rest of the port. I.E. instead of the center pin being flush with the whole port like it is when I get the keg, it sticks up past it. If no one understands what I am talking about I can post a picture. My question is, is this normal when putting new seals on a keg?

Are you referring to the poppet valves? If so, that's not normal IMO.
K101.JPG

Yes I am referring to the poppet. I was pretty sure that it was okay but when I bought them it was not sticking out past which led me to be slightly concerned. Thanks for the info!

I believe that they are actually smaller than the original seals because if they were thicker then the keg posts would be flush. Also when I took the old ones out they were wider but very square instead of round like a new seal. Every keg I have bought so far has had square shaped seals in them, but I believe these are just old seals that have become very worn out with age.

The poppet legs will sit on the dip tube. The higher the dip tube is off of it's mating surface, the higher the poppet will be in the post. I observed this when I tried to use too thick of an o-ring on the dip tube. Another thing I can think of is that the dip tube may not be completely seated. Some of mine have a raised spot and have to be turned the correct way to seat completely. Also, it could be possible that the poppet legs are bent in to far making it stand taller. Or, your keg may have 2 different size poppets and they got switched. Or the top flange of your dip tube is bent down and not perpendicular to the tube. I've also seen a few poppets that the rubber was so worn that they would travel farther through the post hole before stopping. Good luck!

Back