Confirming the SS-ness of a keg.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakelyc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks:

I know there are a ton of threads on this, but I couldn't find anything definitive. I bought a decommissioned keg this weekend that I believe to be stainless. Scratch test and magnet test both pass, I think (tiny scratch and a barely detectable magnetic attraction). Hitting it with a hammer makes the hammer bounce and results is a fairly melodic ring.n from an empirical perspective, I think I am okay.

But I was looking at the markings on the keg to see if anything would be more definitive, and all I can see is "portinox" a couple of time, along with the usual warnings and the size. Does that mean anything to anyone?

Cheers,
-Blake

Try editing your thread title to include "stainless steel keg" and see if any good info pops up at the bottom of the page. Threads with related titles show up there.

Look for the date stamp on the top of the keg. I believe all kegs made after the 60's (maybe early 70's) are stainless. The date stamp should be to the right of the size stamp (like 15.5).

If you have a grinder and a grinding wheel, touch the wheel to it in a place that is not in plain site or the top if you planing on cutting it out. If it stainless it will spark if it doesn't it aluminum.

Latest posts

Back